+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 Piece Vs. 4 Piece-Where Are We Going With This?

1. Default 2 Piece Vs. 4 Piece-Where Are We Going With This?

I know that many of you were familiar with my encounter with the Outdoor Provision Company where the salesman did not want to provide me an option for a two piece rod that I desired. His response was that the store was going to purchase only four piece rods for sales. I talked with them later today and the gentleman tried to convince that a two piece rod was a "thing of the past." In his words, "two piece rods were no longer in desire with his customers." Several of you stated that because of airfare issues that two pieces would not be acceptable and that four piece, five piece and six piece would be the way to go. My question is this-In the next 20 years, will two piece rods "die a death" because of their ease of portability? Will two piece rods in the next 20 years be "a thing of the past?" I would appreciate everyone's input. Thanks

"I have enough 3-4 pc rods to cover most situations. I also have plenty of 2 pc rods. If I like a rod the number of pcs it has is my last consideration.
    As Avalon suggested some rods just are not available in more than 2 pcs. I could not imagine not buying a Orvis Far and Fine (my favorite trout rod) cuz its not available in 3-4 pc...that would be idiotic."

The above is my reply to you first post. It seems the Far and Fine is indeed being "replaced" by a 4 pc version.

I'll tell ya one thing for sure.....I ain't getting rid of my 2 pc rods.

Your question is a difficult one because it is driven by consumer demand. Retailers are going to stock and sell the fly rods that they sell the most of and the rods most requested. Right now, multi-piece rods are popular for ease of transport and the fact they "cast like a 2 piece rod". Because of this, retailers prefer to limit their stock to multi-piece rods and help the cause along in limiting sales of 2 piece rods. That way the do not have to stock 2 piece rods along with multi-piece rods.

I have both 2 piece and 3and 4 piece rods. I like the feel and casting of all my 2 piece rods. I do not find that my 4 piece rods cast like my 2 piece rods, however, they cast very well. The question you ask is are there enough of us who will prefer and buy a 2 piece rod to generate a sufficient demand for them to continue to be made? I am not sure how many of "us" are out there. I would like to think the 2 piece will be around 20 years from now, but demand will dictate their survival.

Bob Widmaier
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

The newer 4 piece rods are much better than their predecessor's. They have a much nicer feel to them, slimmer ferrules and they stay together a lot better. Yet, personally, I prefer the two piece rods, in anything 9ft. and under. I still think they have a much nicer feel. I'm not sure if they'll go the way of the dinosaur, but they are definitely getting harder and harder to find.

I've always thought that 3 piece and 5 piece rods have better actions than 4 piece rods. I have an older friend; a very experienced fly fisherman, who for more than 50 years fished around the world with cane rods exclusively. As a nod to aging he recently started using graphte. His cane rods are all 3 piece. His opinion is that the bamboo action is smoother in a 3 piece model rather than a 2 piece. He believes it is the location of the ferrules that affects the actions. As for myself, I believe that this is also true with graphite and with the new glass rods we are seeing on the market recently.

just 2 mens opinions.

Bob

I find that multi piece rods are easier and faster to build. But then I'm restricted in work space.
    2 piece 9 foot rods are hard to transport in my jeep.
    I carry my rods in aluminum gun cases and 2 piece rods don't fit.
    I do like the 2 piece rods I own very much as well as the multi piece.

On a recent fishing trip to Oregon from Ohio, I was glad I own 4-piece rods, because the airline I traveled on could not accomodate my 2-piece 9'-6" rod in the passenger comparment; it would have had to go in the 'smash-em-up' compartment, aka, the baggace compartment, and God only knows if or when it might have caught up with me in Oregon. The TSA website actually 'encourages' carrying on fly fishing equipment as long as the airline can accomodate it in the overhead compartment. I didn't care if I had clean sox and underwear when I got to Oregon , cuz I could buy that cheap at Wal-Mart. But my rods and 9 fly boxes of hand tied flies...? No way!

My 2-piece rods fish a little different than the multi-pirce rods, but I adapt when I switch equipment. I also adapt when I drive my wife's sports car after driving my 3/4-ton van all day. As I've heard said on the streets, "...it ain't no big deal!"

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Default 2 piece vs 4 piece

I prefer 2 piece rods 10' and under. I buy fly rod cases from Fetha Styx that are 2 and 3/8 diameter. They have separate sock pockets built in on the inside for each piece and will accomodate a 2 piece 10' rod. Overall length 5'-3 3/4 inches.

But I only go fishing in one of my pickups or with my 30' toy hauler. So length is no issue at all. If I were to travel by air.....uh.....I have a couple of rods that will do. A 7 piece and a 5 piece seven foot backpack rod. But I prefer 2 piece rods. I hope they do not go away in my lifetime.

Gemrod

I have 2 pieces rods as a St. Croix Legend that I don't use no more. All the rest of my rods are 4 pieces, a 6 pcs LLBean and 2 Stowaways 7 pcs (fantastic for horseback, trekking, etc.).
    2 pieces rods are things of the past.

Waterfox

My first 4 piece rod was a real eye opener. I travel a lot with my work and it was always a hassle bringing one of my two piece flyrods along to say nothing of what clients thought when they picked me up at the airport!!! If any asked I told them the 10 hours a day I'm working on their projects they get my 100% undivided attention, the other 14 hours are mine. Anyway some clients didn't appreciate that so when I was looking for a new rod, I went with a 4 piece mostly because I could stick it in my suitcase. Most Clients didn't care what I did on my own time, but some always think that they own you 24 hours/day, even if they only want to pay for 8.

When it came to fishing it, I noticed no difference in the casting or feel of the rod compared to a 2 piece, and I have not even considered buying a 2-piece rod since.

It's a personal decision though. I've made my choice based on my own needs and priorities. Yours may differ

+ Reply to Thread