Quote Originally Posted by Crackleback
As an interesting aside to this topic:
Read a few years ago about a cardiac nurse who was working with a group of patients recovering from heart attacks. To sum it up, she began having her patients getting very active in fly tying and the bottom line is, those fly tying patients had a significant lower rate of reoccurance than the study goup that was not involved in fly tying. Sooo. Tie flies. Live longer!
Crackleback/Bob A
I believe it. Back in '97 I began experiencing episodes of A-Fib. The doctors all told me that I would have an increase in the number of episodes and being that I was only in my 30s that at some point surgery would probably be needed to prevent them from occuring and thus reduce the risk of a stroke. I began flytying in earnest about 4 years ago and I can honestly say from that point on the number of A-Fib episodes have deminished. As a matter of fact in the last 2.5 years I have had only one episode of A-Fib which lasted about 8 hours. Eventhough I have not been able to tie much since my kids were born 2.5 and 1 year ago, just the thought of tying, frequenting FAOL, watching and talking to tyers at shows, vidoes and DVDs seems to be the drug that keeps me episode free. Oh yes, my kids are a large part of my well being as well.