JC,

I'm not here to bash or "sound off". I think it a legitimate question to ask and perhaps I didn't write it well, "What are your expectations of the rod you buy for a set purpose?"

To all who have responded. I will not name the manufacturer since this is not intended to start a bash session. As a counter example, our family of 2 fly flingers has a large number of fly rods from different manufacturers including saltwater rods from Sage, St. Croix, Loomis and Thomas & Thomas. Some have been fished in the salt for more than 10 years. Ken's old 8 & 9 wt. Sage RPLXi's are his personal favorites and he's never had a problem with guides or reel seats. The imported rod has had the exact same care.

My thoughts are this. I shouldn't be seeing these kinds of issues with a saltwater rod even if it "only" cost $259.

Whatever happens with this rod, it will be replaced. Most likely from one of the rod companies whose product has demonstrated (to me) that their quality of manufacturing and their components can stand the test of actual "usage".