+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spearfish Creek, S.D.

Default Spearfish Creek, S.D.

I read an article in FAOL about Spearfish Creek, saying there were lots of trout, but small. They were so small that you can't even see them! I drove there last month from Ar. Part of the creek has no water, the rest is fast clear and narrow. Big waste of time and gas.

Bob,
    I'm sorry your first trip to the Black Hills/Spearfish didn't go well. There are fish there (OK, so I've said for years there AREN'T any trouts in the Black Hills!! So, I lied!!! Get over it! ), but they're extremely wiley, and sooo well camoflaged, it doesn't suprise me that you didn't see any.

One thing that I would heartily recommend is Steve Kinsella's book,Trout Fishing in the Black Hills. He points out many, if not most, of the streams, ponds and lakes in the entire Black Hills region, exactly how to get to them, and what can be found in them.

There are stretches of Spearfish right now, due to extreme water conditions, that have NO water in them. There are sections that have beautiful, clear, fast moving water ... and lots of trout. Same can be said for Hanna Creek, Little Spearfish, Castle Creek, and most of the rest. We were there two weeks ago, and one of the prettiest brown I caught was in Spearfish, just upstream from the old generator plant, just downstream from Bridal Veil Falls.

Before you go again, and I would sincerely encourage you to go again, get the Kinsella book, or give me a call. Or go with us!! We've found fishing there to be challenging, and most rewarding.
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Spearfish Creek, S.D.

Hi Betty,
    I was in Wall to do some Prairie Dog shooting, so I went to Sturgis, went down 14A looking for fish. That was the only place I tried.
    Thanks for the come back.
    Bob.

Why were you shooting Prairie dogs?

They are pests, carry the plage, dig holes that cattle step in, and ranchers want to get rid of them.
    They poison them. For me it's a chance to do some long range shooting, and help the ranchers at the same time. Halks, & Coyote, & Eagles eat the dead ones.

Water levels in the Hills are really tough right now. One resevoir on the north end (Belle Fourche?) is down to 17% of normal. Sorry your trip didn't go well, but I don't think what you saw is really the norm out there. Defnitely plan a trip back there. I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to figure out a day of fishing around a hunting trip out there. There are definitely fish in the Hills.

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

I'm a little late on this note - but felt compelled to reply.

The Black hills has some EXCELLENT trout fishing! I pulled an 18" rainbow out of little spearfish creek just up the road from savoy towards roughlock falls.

Water levels are definitely a challenge and have decimated some of the smaller streams - the larger streams and all the ponds still hold a decent population. And don't be afraid to grab a 6' rod and head through the trees and slingshot cast to them. They may spook easily - but they are a lot of fun to catch that way.

I've moved away from South Dakota this past year and already miss it!
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

I will be going through the area again late May or early June on my way to Huelett Wy. to shoot more P.D's and trout fish. If anyone want's to show me the way to fish Spearfish drop me a line.
    Bob from Arkansas.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner
    Bob,
    I'm sorry your first trip to the Black Hills/Spearfish didn't go well. There are fish there (OK, so I've said for years there AREN'T any trouts in the Black Hills!! So, I lied!!! Get over it! ), but they're extremely wiley, and sooo well camoflaged, it doesn't suprise me that you didn't see any.

One thing that I would heartily recommend is Steve Kinsella's book,Trout Fishing in the Black Hills. He points out many, if not most, of the streams, ponds and lakes in the entire Black Hills region, exactly how to get to them, and what can be found in them.

There are stretches of Spearfish right now, due to extreme water conditions, that have NO water in them. There are sections that have beautiful, clear, fast moving water ... and lots of trout. Same can be said for Hanna Creek, Little Spearfish, Castle Creek, and most of the rest. We were there two weeks ago, and one of the prettiest brown I caught was in Spearfish, just upstream from the old generator plant, just downstream from Bridal Veil Falls.

Before you go again, and I would sincerely encourage you to go again, get the Kinsella book, or give me a call. Or go with us!! We've found fishing there to be challenging, and most rewarding.
    Betty
    OK ... this was originally written Oct 8, 2006 Right now is 28 March 2007. I stand by what I have written. Get a copy of the book by Kinsella, it's well worth it. Please be aware, Bob and everyone else, that there is a didymo infestation in a good number of the waters in the Black Hills. Please don't spread it further. Disinfect your boots and equipment. Dry them between changes in streams. We'll be there the last week in May for a few weeks.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Hi,

Didymo is currently destroying many of New Zealand's south island waters. It is horrid stuff (Rock snot is a more descriptive name). It's not too hard to kill, just soak your boots in hot water (not boiling) with lots of dish detergent. Salt water will also kill it, and drying for 48 hours (except felt boots, which can maintain some moisture deep within for quite some time apparently; put in freezer overnight is what they are recommending).

All of these precautions are easy enough to do if you are fishing for the day, then heading back home. If you are camping, or hiking, etc, then crossing one stream and then the next may have just spread it further.

Honestly, I cannot caution you enough about taking care not to spread this stuff.

Ok, sorry to preach. But it's just hartbreaking to see what's become of some of the rivers here in just a couple years and I would hate to see any more waters destroyed.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread