+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Airflo Ridge Line

Default Airflo Ridge Line

Does anyone have any experience with the Airflo Ridge line, I have never fished with anything other than Cortland lines, but this "technology" has pequed my interest.

bluskyd:

The technology isn't exactly new. Back in the early 80's Masterline had a line called the Chalkstream that had a bumpy coating for the same reason.

It did cast like a dream and shot like a cannon. The knock on it then was that it was harder on the guides because of the bumps and it was also harder to keep clean for the same reason.

I can't honestly say if was harder on the guides or not. But of course we are talking about two completely different products so I can't comment on the characteristics or cast-ability of the Airflo Ridge, just bumpy fly lines in general.

And the LF and I were associated with them at that time. They were hard, bumpy and fast thru the guides. They did not wear guides any more than ny other line.

ive got one on my 5wt, casts great. the only problem i can see is that the last 1"-2" of line sinks slightly, i think its due to the loop they create in the line at the factory
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I've got one, it's probably the best casting line I own and has also stayed surprisingly clean since I got it last winter (I think that's due to some kind of chemical in the line that keeps the dirt from sticking to the line). The last couple inches do tend to sink but it's never a been problem because a bit of floatant before I go fishing seems to take care of it. I have not had to reapply during the course of the day when I go fishing, just once before I start fishing each trip.

" (I think that's due to some kind of chemical in the line that keeps the dirt from sticking to the line). "

That would be great and if true can I please buy a piece of the company that makes that chemical....revolutionary.....and priceless

Ducksterman,

[sarcasm] Your a little late. The chemical is some new-fangled thing called Teflon. It's marketed by a company called DuPont. I've heard they are even planning to use it in. . . get this. . . non-stick cookware. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, a lot of hydrophobic chemicals have the tendency to repel dirt (well, when the dirt is in water anyhow). I didn't know Airflow was specifically using Teflon until I looked it up, however. Regardless, the line has stayed pretty damn clean, especially considering it has a bunch of groves in it.

+ Reply to Thread