+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Studded Felt Soles - when???

Default Studded Felt Soles - when???

When does one rally need studded soles for your waders? Thanks - Rick.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

I like mine always. It is like having 4 wheel drive.

When you want the fish to hear you coming
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

There are several streams in my local area (Colorado Rockies) with hard granite boulders worn shiny smooth by the action of the water. They also sport a slick coating of algae. During Spring run off the water flows fast enough to make taking a swim a life threatening event. Several people die each year. I own both studded felt and non-studded felt boots. I wouldn't consider fishing some of these waters in the Spring without the extra traction provided by the studs. It's just a safety thing.

Having said that, the studs are not always the best choice. They are less comfortable for walking long distances on dry ground, esp. pavement. Some very dense dry rocks can actually be slick to studs, if they can't penetrate. They do damage the environent, I can see scraped up rocks and boulders all over my local streams. They tear the heck out of wood floors, I wouldn't think of wearing them in my boat.

Here in the Rocky Mountains, studds are a great added security.
    I have the Simm's Ultra Light Stealth sole on my boots, and I did get the idea from Simms.
    I have sold many felt sole boots to customers and SUGGESTED, that they go to a hardwaye store and buy some short (stainless steel preferably) sheet metal screws. Screw them in the sole (being sure the screws are shorter than the thickness of the sole)
    Four in the ball of the foot section and two to four in the heel. The nice thing is, is you can remove them at anytime. I know drift boat owners won't give you the time of day with studds.

For anyone who may book a float trip with a guide, this is one place to never, ever wear studded boots! It amazes me every time someone has the utter disregard for me and my boat by trying to get in the boat with studded boots. Once last year I made a guy take his boots off even though I did have a mat. When he sat down he would very arrogantly put his studded boots up against the inside of my boat. Think of me, or any boat owner, walking on your kitchen floor with studded boots. Also, read the sign at the door of every single gold club house that says, "NO SPIKES INSIDE".
    Sorry, just had to get this off my chest.

"When you want the fish to hear you coming"

Like they dont hear you coming stumbling down the river.

Quote Originally Posted by fish4trout
    "When you want the fish to hear you coming"

Like they dont hear you coming stumbling down the river.
    Gee I hope not,
    I try very hard for that not to happen.
    Maybe I'm old school or something but stealth is something I view as very important to my fishing.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I swear my strike rate went down when the rubber tip wore out on my ski pole wading staff

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman
    I swear my strike rate went down when the rubber tip wore out on my ski pole wading staff
    But you didn't fall down or strain your back, did you Sometimes you just got think SAFETY.
    I do agree on noise however. Took a client out on a lake with one of those two man pontoons and that thing made so much noise while I was rowing, I figured it had to be going up through his feet into the line. Pulled over and fished from shore....got him into a 25" bow. Wahoo!
    The rivers however, wading staff and cleets. Our rocks are large and round with a lot of moss. "G" I love Idaho and the gravel!

+ Reply to Thread