+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wader Life

Default Wader Life

After reading several bulletin board posting here on waders, I was wondering what everyone's experience has been on the years of service you expect and actually get from a pair of waders? They can be breathable waders or otherwise, just state what type they are. I don't know what the life expectency is for waders, I thought I would gather some real life data from your experiences. It will be interesting to see if the more costly brands last longer. So let me start.

For me, I have a pair of Hodgeman WadeLites I have gotten about 8 years of service and they are just starting to leak. I use them about 10-15 times per year. I expected about 4 years of service, but I exceeded that.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Bob,

I use Wardell (Springbrooks) in Guide weight. Going on their 5th year at about 40 days per year. Replaced the neoprene feey after three seasons, but IMO, that's normal. Never leaked once.

The girlfriend uses Simms Freestones ... third seaosn starting at about 25 days per year, no problems.

We don't bush wack. Mine, I wear them 18 hours a day, cook and clean up in 'em, ... so far, no problems even with the blood, dirt, grime and bacon grease. I expect them to last several more seasons.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:8397b]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:8397b]

[This message has been edited by fcch (edited 06 May 2005).]
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

For what waders cost, I expect them to last forever. However, I get 6 months of use (roughly 60-70 serious trips or 3-500 hours of actual wading)) out of waders, regardless of brand, material, or price. Usually the seams fail, then the feet get compression leaks, and then I toss em and buy another pair. Because I see this regardless of price of waders, I have accepted this as a cost of doing business and now buy cheap waders twice a year.

DG:

Interesting that the life of the waders under heavy use is not proportional to the price, assuming price=quality=length of use.

Your comments are much appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Bob,

As DG pointed out, one of the "failures" of waders is compression leaks in the neoprene feet. Any neoprene will eventually compress enough to start letting water seep through. I wear a cheap pair of 3 mm neoprene socks OVER my stocking foot neoprene feet. Seems to help.

Less grit gets ground into the soles and they compress less quickly (3 years now on the same feet).

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:66da4]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:66da4]
    Christopher Chin

my own waders were cheap enuff, but im my own worst enemy

Since the dawn of time waders have been the best and worst of what a fisherman faced as he entered the water. You have all heard of the two guys winter stealheading on olimpic pininsula. when asked the first said FISHING WAS GREAT! hooked 7 fish brought 5 to hand the largest was a buck 38" what a day!!! the second said MY #@%^## waders leaked!! and that is what both rembered of the same day. moral of the story is have a backup pair where ever you go.

Rich

Gee, I hope this thread get's alot more post's, I'm very interested in yall's answers. I have one pair of neo's that I got in 1996, and they have held up so far, they haven't seen alot of use cause I get hot easy but don't like the cold. I have one pair
    of Orvis waders that I got 1 year ago and was hoping they would last a very long time. I have done alot of wet wadeing, cause it helps to keep me cool...

Tim

------------------
    Spelling and Grammar not subject to judgement...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

In my experience, a good pair of neoprenes will last about 5 years. A cheap pair will last 1-2 years. And that's hunting wear, which is rougher on them than fishing...generally speaking.

The most expensive breathables I ever bought lasted 2 years. The cheapest pair has almost made it that long now.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I have a pair of Cabela's 5mm neoprenes that I had about 12 years. They've been patched with goop a few times but are still going strong.
    Last year I finally blew out my Seal-dry latex waders that I've had ever since the early '80s. Wish I still had those!
    I also have a pair of fly weights that have been around 10+ years.
    I've got a pair of Hodgman hip boots that have been around a while too.
    I've never bought a pair of breathables. I need to use up the boots that I already have.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread