+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Guinea Nymph ?

Default Cross Guinea Nymph ?

Does anyone have any information (recipe, tying instructions, photo, etc.) on the subject nymph. Or, a referral to someone who might know something about it.

Welcome to the FAOL BB

Warm Water

That is just too funny! I googled cross guinnea nymph, and came up with your request! No pattern, no directions.

Is this fly a regional fly?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default The Cross Guinea Nymph is for Real, Apparently

Betty,
    This is apparently an old pattern that fly fishers used on the Chatooga river near Clayton Georgia. One of the old timers there said that he believed it originated out west and was discovered to be very effective on our Southern Appalachain streams. He remembers the body having black and white banding. Maybe the body was wrapped using a Guinea Fowl hackle. Its truly a forgotten fly.

There is one article on the web that lists it among the larger Western nymphs (hook sizes 10-12). The following excerpt from the article is proof positive that it must have been used sufficiently enough to warrant mentioning in the article:

"On the other end of the line are such really big ones as the Western stone flies, called by various names-salmon, trout and willow fly-often so large that they are tied on number 6 long shank hooks. Rocky Mountain tyers have done an imaginative job of imitating natural nymphs. Dan Bailey of Livingston, Montana, turns out a large stone fly nymph on a 2X long, number 8 hook, that is more natural looking than the natural. It is best in the early season while the big hatch is on, but will produce well all year. Some of the best Western nymphs in larger sizes are the Bailey's May fly nymph, caddis fly,
    the cross guinea, dark olive and cream May fly, all tied on 10 and 12 hooks. Tied on long shank hooks in sizes 6 to 10, the light mossback with light olive and cream body is a good producer, and the dark mossback with body of dark olive and yellow is one of the best nymphs I've ever fished."

The link to the article (titled: Fly Fishing - Fishing Nymphs, Ants And Beetles For Trout) is: http://www.oldandsold.com/articles03/flyfishing12.shtml

That sounds neat! Have you tried writing (e-mail) to Baily's?
    Betty

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Have been pouring through my tying books, and while I haven't found one called cross guinea nymph, reading the description in your post, have found something that sounds like it. The book is "Imitative Fly Tying" by Ian Moutter.

The woven nymph on page 131 or the flattened lead wire on pg 126 look like what you described.
    Betty

From Perrault's Standard Dictionary of Fishing Flies:

Cross Guinea Nymph 8-12

Tail: Guinea hackle fibers
    Body: Black and white wool, alternate.
    Hackle: Guinea hackle fibers, two sets of legs or beards, the second about 1/8 inch behind the first.

Betty, thanks so much Darling for pouring over your library of books. I did the same thing.

Jayatwork, thanks so much for looking in the right places. Mission accomplished! I began to wonder if this fly actually existed and whether the whole thing was a spoof.

Appreciate you effort.

I know it ain't what you're looking for, but we used to do some PTN's useing all Guinea. Interesting effect and they worked well in places.
    ....lee s.

Gatorbaitor,

Sorry I'm late - been away.
    Jayatwork gave a good, concise report. The long answer follows.
    Reuben Cross was from Neversink, NY. In his book 'The Complete Fly Tier" he writes (p.44):

For our first pattern we will tie the Guinea nymph. After placing your hook in the vise (it should be a heavy hook like those used for wet flies)and fastening your tying silk to the rear end of the shank of the hook, as described for wet flies, select a polka dot feather from the Guinea fowl and from it cut a piece about one-eighth of an inch wide with a white spot in it. Fasten this on for the tail.

Now take a strand of white wool and one of black wool and fasten them on together for a body. Now wind the tying silk up about one third the length of the hook, making it fast with a half hitch. Cut two strips of Guinea feather each about an eighth of an inch wide, being sure to have a white spot in each. Lay one on top of the other with the tip ends pointing in opposite directions. Hold them in this position with the thunb and index finger of the left hand (providing you are right handed) and place them across the shank of the hook while you tie them fast with the tying silk, making it form an X on top of the feather and the bottom of the hook, which will bring your tying silk in front and back of the feathers on either side. This causes them to stand out at right angles to the hook.

Continue the tying silk up the shank of the hook until within about one-eighth of an inch of the eye. Then select two additional strips of the Guinea feather such as already described and fasten them on in the same manner. Trim off the butt ends of the feathers and your work will appear as in Fig. 32. (Shows Guinea feathers across the shank of hook, front and back.)

Now clamp your clothespin to the tying silk and wind up your body material, finish off in front of the Guinea feathers and your nymph is complete as in Fig. 33. (Another pencil drawing of the two Guinea feathers but with alternating black and white bands between the fore and aft Guinea feathers.

History is interesting, but I'll settle for a PT nymph and/or a GRHE.

Bill
    Name notes where I fish and for what I fish.

+ Reply to Thread