+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hackle Guard

Default Hackle Guard

A friend gave me a set of hackle guards that were given to him a long time ago but he never used. They consist of three cone shaped disks with a short handle that has a small hook on the end of the handle stem and one small weight that has a hole through it. I know how to use hackle guards but seldom do preferring to use a short section of drinking straw. HOWEVER, I am confounded as to what the purpose of the small weight is. I can not for the life of me figure out what the heck it is for. Can anyone tell me?

Jim Harper

Default Hackle guards

The purpose of the weight is to provide "hands-off" pressure to pull the guard back against the front of th hackle. A string is to be attached to the weight long enough to let the weight be hung over the back of the vise. For the beginers in my classes I suggest the following however. Use a ball pen (without a cartridge) that has a larger hole in the end to apply a few regular half-hitches when tying-off the head. The large hole in the pen will let you effortlessly push errant hackle barbs back out of the way with no problems. Later you may decide to use whip finishes. Good luck.

You hang the weight, (usually from a short length of string), from the hook on the cone after you slip the cone over the head of the fly.

It is supposed to keep the cone in place so both hands are free. Other uses for the weight are:
    • * Throw it at the wall when the hackle guards don't work.

* Throw it at anyone who bothers you while you are trying to figure out how to use hackle guards

* Use it when you give up fly fishing for spin fishing because fly fishing is too complicated
    Have Fun!

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. I figured that is what it was for, but just wanted to confirm it. I think that I will continue to use a short piece of drinking straw after trying the hackle guards. Jim Harper

Those metal cone hackle guards are great for a sheild when burning stray feather bards that get in your whip finish. I found a great source for hackle guards, drinking and sTrirring straws. I place a short piece of the straw over my bobbin, and slide it forward (to cover the hackle) when tying off dry fly patterns, and doing a whip finish. ~Parnelli

I have never heard that straw trick. How long of a piece do you use?

I to use the piece of a straw. I just measure for the size hook so it covers the body of the fly witht he hackle and then cust a slit down the middle to let the thread through so I can tie the head. size of the piece depends on the size of the fly

If you have a half-hitch tool, use it. If you don't have a half-hitch tool, use a ballpoint pen case, which you probably do have.

And yes, the real purpose of the weight is mysterious to some. You'll appreciate the added distance the weight provides when you toss that hackle guard contraption.

thanks for the straw idea i never heard that before, will try it out

Warm Water

I too have experimented (with mixed results) with the metal hackle gaurds. I did just pick up some rubber gloves, however, to use instead. Get the heavier cleaning gloves and cut the finger tip off. Put a little hole in the middle and slide it over the bobbin tip before you start. When you are ready, slide it up the thread and on the hook. The elasticity keeps it in place (theoretically, haven't tried it yet).

+ Reply to Thread