My Dad changed his address on September 4, 2006; hopefully, he joined my Mom in heaven and share eternity in love. However, here on earth, I am struggling with the memories of numerous camping trips. Looking back at my childhood memories, I was jealous that all the camping trips were not quality ?one on one? time, but events that I shared with my Dad included all the boys in his Scout troop.
Recently, I talked with him before his passing and had that heart to heart conversation. Where as, I mentioned my jealousy and he questioned, ?Do you know what it is like to be without a Dad?? This started me thinking of his generosity and my selfishness; hence, I began to think of all the times that I share with my boys and their friends while fishing, camping, or hiking.
Come September 24th, we had Dad?s memorial service and the church was filled with past, present, or future Scout masters. Truly, my Dad left a legacy to be enjoyed by more than one boy; where as, he left infinite memories for numerous fatherless boys. Hereby, my Dad left me with millions of memories, but he equally endowed to me a field of adult Boy Scouts that help me share in the grief of losing him.
Obviously, Dad taught me all the skills to survive in the wilderness of forest and city. However, it was my Grandpa that instructed me the several techniques of fishing with bait and lure. On November 4, 2006, my Grandpa passed away at the age of 100 years old. Consequently, it is proof, God does not deduct time from a person?s life when they spend that time fishing.
Naturally, my emotions are swirling while I write this note, but these are good feelings of lessons learned. Truly, my Grandpa taught me things that my Dad had missed and this prompts the over all perspective that I have been blessed with two men with wisdom.