+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a vacation moment

Default a vacation moment

OK, there i am. standing in the yellowstone river. Fishing the Yankey Jim Canyon. I had just released a nice cutthroat trout. With blue skies above and the mountains on both sides of me i stop to take it all in. Then I see an osprey flying up the river towards me, now I am drooling from the corner of my mouth. Just doesn't get any better than this.......

just then the osprey hits the power line crossing the river. And with a puff of smoke, the darn thing falls dead about twenty feet from where i am standing.

all i can think is, another Griswald vacation!

Just my luck, that will always be stuck in my mind.

And yes, we are already saveing for another trip back. what a beautiful part of the country.

Don

Sooooo...what can you tie with Osprey hackle? (Just kidding, I know raptors are off limits...)

Hey backbeach,

The flies tied with those cooked Osprey feathers would probably be true to their heritage, and end up stuck right back in those power lines. LOL!!!

Terry
    "The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

I was fishing with a friend on the Madison last fall. He walked over to me and we chatted for a few minutes. Pointed to a bend in the river about 25 yds away and said "I'm going to fish over there, I think there will be a nice trout next to that big rock"

As we were finishing our conversation, we spotted an Osprey. I said something about how great that was, because you don't see them at home. He made a comment about how he hated them - because they eat trout.

Just then the Osprey went into a dive. Landed just by the big rock - and pulled out a very large, stout trout. My buddy was speechless - I couldn't stop laughing.....

How many BIG trout have I seen these birds take in front of me?? Please don't make me count!

They are a very beautiful bird to watch though, and there are a lot of them around the Wind River Range, especially around Pindale, WYO.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Personally, I LOVE seeing an osprey swooping down and grabbing a nice fat fish......that means that there are nice fat fish for ME to catch as well!

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

ME TOO

My Osprey story has to do with fishing a pond trying to get a nibble from a trout and getting totally skunked. As I paddle away I turn around to see an Osprey dive and then climb up with a nice trout in its claws, the trout moving as though it is swimming in air.

It goes to show you that the professional fishers really are better than us amatures.

jed

A couple of years ago I was fishing a lake in Rocky Mountain National Park that has Greenback Cutthroat. I was sitting along the shore line waiting for the fish to start rising to a midge hatch when I see a Bald Eagle swoop down the lake, drop in, and pull a nice Greenback out. As he flew away I couldn't help but wonder, "What happens when one endangered specie starts feeding on another endangered specie?"
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Grizzz, then the ball is in Mother Natures court.*G*
    Survival of the fittest! In the case of the trout,
    they rarely eat eagles.*G* Warm regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread