+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Micus - Montana moment article

Default Dave Micus - Montana moment article

With some interest I read Dave Micus' article on Montana moments. Frankly, I found it disturbing that Dave would write, and FAOL would publish, an article describing the illegal "intentionally" fishing for bull trout, a species protected under the ESA, and one that Montana law expressly prohibits intentionally fishing for, other than in one lake without permits, and in a few other lakes and one river (not the one in this article) with a permit. I think that Ben Hart, whoever he is, should be ashamed to call himself a guide and FAOL should not sanction such activity by publishing the article on this site. You can do better than that - and Dave, Montana's fishing regulations are available at many sporting goods stores and at www.fwp.state.mt.us -- you should read them.

Blog Entries

Cea.

I also read that article. Did you notice that Mr. Micus was having bulls make runs at the cuts he had on his line. Ergo while fishing for cuts we know that there were some large bull trout in evidence in the same pool. Did you know that writers will often combine several experiences at different locations into one article to make the story jell a little better . For instance fishing at several lakes or rivers and taking the most interesting things from all those trips and combining them into one story. Perhaps one of those segments of his article were an experience gained at that river or lake where Bulls can be taken. His enticement of that bull trout may have been legal after all. Can you say for 100% sure that it was not so? He said that he didn't know the name of the crik he was fishing, trusting His friend that it was ok. Yet from the articles photos you have positivly identified them as illegal waters. Perhaps Photos taken from one stream were added to a story that happened at another stream so as to be more enjoyable to the readers. It is a writers perogative to embellish a story. Again you do not know that these were the waters the bull trout was in.
    With the flimseyest evidence you have villified this fine gentleman when a pm or email to him would have been the sensible thing to do. If he is wrong and made a mistake then he could have asked the Administration to pull the story perhaps with an apology. You didn't give him the chance. Nor did you give the administration time to notice an possible conflict with Montana regulations so that they question the author about the content.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

If you want to ask someone a PERSONAL question, the Private Message is great!
    I'm sure that Dave cares about regulations.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Default reply to Gnu Bee

Gnu Bee Flyer: I understand writer's perogative, but don't see that makes any difference here. I also did not intend to villify Dave Micus in my post other than he should familiarize himself with local regulations after having recently moved to MT. The same can be said for every person fishing in the state - particularly fishing guides. I have read several of his articles in the past and enjoyed them. In reading the article at issue, Dave indicated it was not himself, but his guide who was fishing for bull trout. If Dave and his guide were fishing the single river in Montana where bull trout fishing is allowed with a permit, they can respond and say so. However, for Dave not to know the name of that river would be surprising as it is clearly posted along the way. On the other hand, for guides to intentionally, and illegaly, fish for bulls in the state is unfortunately not uncommon. While I can appreciate the excitement of catching a bull trout accidentally while fishing for other fish, those who fish for them intentionally just because no one is around to see it should not be allowed to fish at all in the state, much less make a living of it.

"almost hooked a thirty-inch bull trout we could see finning in the bottom of a deep pool that showed more than a passing interest in the double bunny Ben swung by its nose, but didn't take."
    Good catch, thanks for pointing this out. Not living in Montana is no excuse that I did not notice this nor getting ready for the trip to Idaho. It will be handled.

I'm sorry, but how can anyone say that someone's truly trying to "intentionally fish for ..." any kind of fish? I mean, most fish will take different kinds of bait, won't they (and yes, a fly is another kind of bait, for those who deny it )? You may fish with a fly that the local Bull's love, but perhaps, in your experience, the Cutt's love that fly, too. I mean, if you read the Warm Water column, how many times has Rick Z. used flies that he catches Crappie on, but comes away with no Crappie, but a mess of BG's. How many other fisherman, besides Rick and I are out intentionally fishing for one species, but catch another? I can't see how anyone can be caught "intentionally" fishing for a specific species of fish, when multiple species of fish inhabit the same water. I can completely understand the idea that once you catch a fish that you are not allowed to keep, you return it to the water as fast as possible, and I can understand the idea of using only certain kinds of baits (such as dry fly only) for particular bodies of water or stretches of stream/river because some baits can be more harmful to a fish than others.

I don't understand what the fuss is about. I read his article last week, so I don't remember if he kept any Bull's, but as long as Dave kept no Bull's, regardless if he actually caught any, he has nothing to be ashamed of nor did he do anything illegal, IMHO.

Paul

PS. Sorry for being long winded. I'm just cornfused (sic).

If your on a cutt stream throwing 5+" streamers, like a double bunny, with a 7 or 8 weight rod and sinking line, then there really is no denying you are targeting bull trout and will be cited. Not saying Micus was doing this, just sayin'.

To be clear, the article did not say Dave Micus intentionally fished for bull trout. What it did say is that his guide/friend did, which I believe is worse as a guide should (and probably did) know better.
    Gandalf: A prerequisite element to finding a person guilty of many crimes is an intentional act. Come on, when a person is looking at a bull trout and casting a double bunny to it, regardles of what other fish exist in the river, he is intentionally fishing for bull trout.

We are not unpacked yet. I said it would be handled. It has been deleted.

Default GEEEEEEE

Hey, take a happy pill. You weren't there and don't know the situation with the other fish in the hole or the river.

Gee Wiz

The Geezer
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

+ Reply to Thread