+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those of us in New York

Default For those of us in New York

Where do you go to catch some trout after October 15th....
    I go up to Connecticut to the Housatonic...

2. Default

Inland or lake run fish?

For lake run many tribs to Ontario or Erie will hold trout.

Inland ? in central and western NY I fish a bunch of different water they keep open all year. These are all C&R areas. You can search by county and region on the DEC web site. Let me know if you want more specific info ? happy to share.

Link to DEC fishing page is below. Open up the new regs for 2006 to 2008 and look for special regs by county and also for the Great Lakes tribs regs.

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwm ... index.html

Farmington River in CT
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Did not know you moved to NY Ray ... welcome to the overtaxed state ...Misery loves company !!!

NY, I figured if he went to the Houssie the Farmington is just around the corner!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

Default after oct.15-ny

tribs. off lake ont.all winter-cant beat steelies-winter no crowds??

I've only been in NY for 4 years and I have to say this whole closed season thing throws me for a loop.

I understand the rationale for it (let the fish spawn in peace), but there are a quite a few streams (or at least parts of them) that get exemptions. Toss in the fact that folks on the great lakes tribs are targeting spawning fish and it pushes me over the edge.

I just want to shake off the shack nasties on that oddball 50 degree day in january. Tying is fine, but sometimes ya gotta wet a line. Fortunately, you can still find a good single malt here (even in winter) .

iso,
    I agree with you, though I am partial to bourbon myself
    Well I guess I will make the trip out to Connecticut or maybe New Jersey

Here in CT, the DEP rules seem to be made based on how well the trout can hold over the warm summer months.

The streams that get too warm in the summer are designated for "harvest". In those streams they plan on a high percentage fish dying off, so they stock them and let people catch and keep the ones that would probably die anyway.

Other streams are considered good for the trout all year (usually the Trout Management Areas) and are often designated catch and release during winter months to encourage holdover trout to breed and increase the wild population.

The third class are the wild trout management areas. These are not stocked, and they allow catch and release fishing only, but they allow it all year.

http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/fishing/fdhome.htm is the state fisheries web site that has all the regs including which streams are open different times of year.

http://dep.state.ct.us/burnatr/fishing/ ... ishadv.htm is the DEPs weekly report on both fresh and salt water fishing.

+ Reply to Thread