+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you solve this problem???

thanks for the tip Parnelli, i will have to try this the next time i tie

Warm Water

Ever tried a kneeling chair? I used to have one and I remember it being very comfortable.

http://www.healthyback.com/store/sittin ... gchair.htm

Of course you could just stop and have a beer every hour

Hi fishy..you might try going to a music store and ask them if you can spend a few minutes sitting in a chair while you rest either foot on a guitar players foot rest...this is what they use to ward off lower back pain while playing for long periods of time. Goes right along with what Parn said...this unit I'm talking about is agled at about a 45 so your toes would be higher than your heel. Seems to work.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Default How about...

Fishy,
    Let me say first that I'm really sorry to hear of your problem. I've had some nasty back troubles myself from building 100' long x 6' high retaining wall in my yard. Tons of Physical Therapy work off and on over 20 yrs. Now I'm really careful. I feel for you...

So, I'll echo the same info. given to first go to the best therapist you find. Maybe you've done this..if not, do it. My pain lasted 10-12 yrs before it finally went away doing the excercises I was given. It's miserable man..but go see the docs.

For a "shot in the dark" guess...have you seen those large diameter (36") thick, rubber inflatable excercise balls you can can buy through the big-name chain stores? These are the balls suggested for the "in the living room" excercises. Even some schools have students sitting on them for posture and strength...

It's the best I can think of. Good luck. You really need to cure this!

Jeremy.

thank you everyone, i will be sure to set my desk up differnet and see if it works, i will post back, to let you guys and galls know

AlanB Guest

This is something which seems never to be taught in fly tying classes. I have never understood why because it can affect most of us. I also have found a limit to the number of flies I can tie. However I can now get there without too much pain.

When I started my engineering apprentisship, many moons ago, I was taught how to set up a vice so that it was at the correct height for working at. I have used the same method to set up my fly tying vice since.

Try holding your arms up horrizontal for a length of time and it begins to hurt somewhere around the upper arms neck or upper back area. If your vice is too high then you are having to support the weight of your arms while tying. To asssertain the best position for your vice sit in the chair you are going to be tying in, and place your fist under your chin. The vice should be set up at the height where your elbow is.

Also do not use reading glasses to tie with! This can hurt your back!!!! Reading glasses focus too close for fly tying. You need glasses that focus around 15 inches for fly tying. If your glasses focus too close you will stoop at the vice. Talk with your optician they will gladly make you glasses for fly tying. It is very simple to adjust the focus when making glasses.

Of course the advice given before about a good chair is also very imortant.

Given all this I still can not tie more than 10 dozen in a day.

Cheers
    Alan.

you could also try to stand.

These days many offices have desks where you can change the height and one can see people standing at their desks.

First time poster here
    I've been lurking for a few months and though it was about time I contributed something usefull I hope it is anyhow

I hope my response helps someone out. It worked wonders for me
    I too have sever back problems "USE JACK STANDS"

I found this solution for problem by accident I needed a new pedeslat for my vice and went into a local shop and bought the only one they had
    Turned out to be the best money I ever spent
    When I got it home I discovered it had 2 ways to install the stem one vertical and another angled I would guess about 35 degrees I mounted it in the angled hole and it brought my vise away frommy desk allowing me to sit back farther in my chair and rest my arms on the arms of the chair which took a lot of strain off of my back.

The only drawback I have found it the vise is now top heavy making a clamp mandatory.

This allowed me to from tying about 12 flies to 50 and even sometimes 75 flies at a time (Egg patterns take no time)...

Skip

Well, I hate to go against the general suggestions of a higher vise...but, I can only speak from my own experience. With a higher vise I found I tended to 'lean' forward, also (as one poster said) had to keep my arms raised a bit...very tiring. I find that 'lowering the vise' solved my problem. I then could keep my back against the back of my chair. Everyone I know who uses a Law vise seems to be happy tying more, 'in their lap'. I've found a way to lower my vises without buying yet another vise. Tying at shows is always a problem as you are usually on a high stool and I find I then I end up tying standing up..and taking plenty of breaks.....Bob

I couldn't agree with you more the lower the better
    the setup I use actually lowered the vise 2 to 3 inches

Skip

+ Reply to Thread