+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wading boots: felt soles or lug soles?

Default wading boots: felt soles or lug soles?

My old boots are lug soles - they work alright.
    Lots of people like felt soles but don't they get slick once they're caked with moss and stuff? I'm thinking about getting a pair of Korkers convertible boots from Cabela's. Can anybody give me an opinion on them or any other convertible-soled boot? thanks

The Korkers look interesting to me but the smallest size I've seen is a men's 8, so I haven't tried them.

I'm hanging with my old Redball boot foot waders (9 years old or so). My Cabela's Dry Plus leaked after 1 year (both the original pair and the replacement).

Before the old Redballs' felt soles came off, they were good for anything but snow. Now that they're just lug soled, they were fine on snow a few weeks ago but not so great on the slimy rocks where we fished last weekend.

I tried to glue the felt back on a couple of times, but it didn't work. Instead of convertibles, they're converteds. Not as convenient. They'll have to do until Korkers makes me a size 6 or 6 1/2.

It would be interesting to hear from those who've used them.

I gave the Korkers some serious thought, but tried on a pair of Chota wading boots. Just walking in them for a few minutes sold me. The Chota's are the most comfortable boots I've ever owned. The felt sole is polypro felt, I believe, and there are removable stainless steel studs that screw into the sole.

I got the Citico Creek boots and Vickie got the STL model Chota's. She liked the slick lacing system.

We have both done some extensive wading in the boots and are very pleased, excellent comfort and great traction in mud, moss, and rock. Haven't tried them in snow and ice yet.

REE

Lug sole boots = fall on rocks and finished off old football injured right knee. Spent three months during prime time fishing on crutches and cane and rehab after surgery.

Felt sole boots = no more short trips for surgery.

IMHO I'll stick with felt

I used to wear lug sole boots for all my hunting and fishing in waders. Last year I bought some Hodgman felt soles and put them on my boots. Now, for fishing, I'll never go back. They're a huge improvement in traction. For hunting, I still wear lug soled boot foot waders. Where I hunt the bottom and shore is mostly muddy. Where I fish the bottoms and shore is mostly gravel/bedrock. On slippery rock you just can't beat felt.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I have studded Aqua Stealth.
    I have fallen in a few times since I bought them but not because of my boot soles.

I used nothing but rubber lug soles in the past and thought they were ok until I bought my new Chota boots with felt soles. I will never go back to lug rubber. They help out so much on the slippery stuff. I've never had a problem with them getting "gummed up" or anything else. Great boots.....good soles. I imagine the metal cleats would be good for certain applications but after wearing these for 2 seasons, am very happy with them.
    Happy Trails,
    Dean

I've made the change over the the Chota's to the Korkers.

Let me start off by saying that I really liked my Chota boots as far as comfort and traction goes as long as you are on rocks. The problem that I found with them was durability. Evidently a few years back they had a problem with them which caused the entire sole to come off (not just the felt). Every fly shop in town has told me about this (I already owned them at this point) and has said that Chota has since fixed the problem. Strange thing is that the people at Chota say that they have never had a problem. Figure that.

Like I said I have both the Chotas and the Korkers. I picked up the Korkers because I often times fish lakes and rivers that have a sand or mud banks and bottoms and I like the extra traction that a lug sole gives you. In addition, I often times need to walk quite a ways to get to my fishing holes and the lugs seem to do better on the trail and will last a whole lot longer. Get to the site and swap out the lugs for the felt.

Hell, I have a cheap rubber pair of waders from walmart and they have Felt Soles. Not a spill................yet, and under $40. The felt works for me.

Walking on wet snow in felt soles is a whole new experience. The snow will stick to the felt then like a magical snowman shoe, you'll get taller and taller with each step. Eventually you'll fall over and someone will need to chip the snow from your sole so you can get going again. Total hassle. I ended up taking the boots off and walking the last 100 yards to the river in my wader sock feet.

I've also found that walking on our Southern Ontario clay in felt soles akin to walking on ballbearings. I turned about a dozen 1/4 inch sheetmetal screws into each sole for added traction. Works great....permenant cleats.

As for walking on freestone rivers in felt soles, nothing compares for their awesome grip.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Oncoryncus (edited 26 April 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread