+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rod for a Newbie

Default New Rod for a Newbie

Ok...I just got started with the fly fishing thing. I have been a conventional tackle fisherman for some time.

Right now I have a 9' 7wt rod that is pretty basic. It fishes well for my purposes but I am looking to get a complimentary rod.

Most of the stream and river I plan to fish (trout) are up here in New England (Massachusetts and New Hampshire primarily).

What I have found when I go out fishing with the 9' 7wt is the streams I am fishing have lots of overhead cover and limited casting space. Originally I was thinking of dropping to a 8'6" 5wt. But I am wondering if going shorter and lighter is in order.

What are people's thoughts? Also I am looking to be a little on the cheap side. Maybe $150 for the whole combo. So any suggestions for particualr models will be welcome as well.

Dear coltranem,

I'm sure you will get a lot of different responses to this question.

In my opinion until you become more experienced with fly fishing for trout and decide where exactly you will be doing most of your fishing I suggest you stick with a 4 or a 5 weight outfit, with a preference for a 5 weight. Anything lighter is a little more specialized and therefore less versatile.

Lighter outfits are by no means unusable, but there are times when they are impractical even on smaller streams. For example in the higher flows common in the spring when nymph and streamer fishing is the norm, it is much easier to do with a 5 weight than with a 3 weight.

Personally, I am a fan of longer rods. I feel they offer an advantage with line control and mending. I also believe that there is little difference between a 9 foot rod and an 8' 6" rod in terms of fishability in tight quarters. My way of thinking is unless you drop down to a rod of 7' 6" or less you are unlikely to see an advantage.

One other thing to consider. If you are comfortable and accustomed to fishing a 9 foot rod moving to a much shorter rod will take some getting used to. It will feel and handle decidely different than the longer rod you are used to using.

Don't sweat your decision though. If you are like most people you will eventually have more rods than you can reasonably use anyway.

Last but not least. If you have a budget consider a used rod and reel. There are often some very good deals available right here on the FOR SALE section of this message board.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Avalon,
    Thanks for your response...I think I am more considering either I should go 4wt or 5wt...and on length greater than 8' or less that 8'

I agree with Avalon. For the purpose you mentioned, I would go under 8' & a 5wt. When I started, I had an inexpensive 7' 5wt St Croix. I believe I paid $70.00 for the rod..was my favorite, even after I bought more expensive rods. Then I broke it in the van door! You can find some nice equipment at Cabelas..I just picked up a 5wt reel there on sale for 30 bucks. I do not yet own one of their rods, but I don't hear anything but praise for them.
    He's also correct about there being some fantastic buys on lightly used good quality gear here on our "For sale" forum.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

For shorter stream work I would go with an 8' 4 or 5wt. That way you can use it on smaller streams but also on a little bigger water.
    I have a couple of the Cabela's rods and they've worked very well. The one, I believe is built on a Scott blank, the other looks like it may be a St. Croix.

I'm with Avalon and ohiotuber. I have a 7'6 4wt for really small streams and bluegills, but everything else is 9' or longer. My all-around outfit is a Cabelas Traditional 9' 5wt with the CSR reel. The 2-pice combo (incl. backing, line, reel bag & rod tube) is $129.99 + shipping. I can easily cast #18 dry flies as well as #4 streamers. The rod is a moderate action and reel has a smooth, sealed disc drag. Very nice outfit for the price. I was so pleased with it that I also bought one for a gift for my cousin (no, I'm not adopting anyone ).

Regarding your fishing environment, I have forced myself to become proficient at roll casting, which has helped me fish in places I never thought a fly rod would work. I also side-arm cast parallel to the water when the canopy is low. IMHO, I think every fly fisher should get proficient with these casts to expand their fishing opportunities.

Good luck making a choice. It's always best to try an outfit if you can. This removes any doubt.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Thanks everyone for their response...I'll definitely look at some of the Cabelas combos. Now if I buy a rod that is a 5wt...does that mean I should use WF6 or WF5....I have read a few places that the rod weight is for DT line and you should go one up for WF. In that case I might lean towards a #4 rod with WF5 line.

Default Rod

I think Joe has the right idea. Get the new Cabelas Magazine or goto the website. They have decent rods and the traditional looks like a nice rod for the cash.

Hi,

I would suggest an 8'6" 5 weight, as that gives you a slightly shorter rod to play with. And, down the road, consider looking at an under 8' 3 weight. Having a 3,5, and 7 weight rod, in those various lengths, should ensure that you have almost all your bases covered. After that, it's just a good sized Spey rod and a 1 weight, and then the even numbers, and ....

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

coltranem;
    Good advice here. My arsenal extends from a 6'6" 2 wt to a 9' 7 wt. My favorite being a 7'6" 5 wt. bamboo. There's also a 9' 3 wt. and a 9' 5 wt. in the bag. Ooops there is a 7' 6" graphite in there too!! With the exception of the bamboo these are rod's I've built for under 70 bucks each!
    You know I just had a thought! Ohiotuber is some 6 hours away from me and I have spent more days fishing with him than anyone else this year!

+ Reply to Thread