+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crow wing kayaks

Default crow wing kayaks

Does anyone have any experience with these kayaks? They have some on ebay, it seems the company is selling them through ebay at good prices, but the negative is the shipping, they charge 140 dollars and it is shipped to a receiving center. It is only 25 dollars if you pick it up in Minnesota at the factory. They seem like really good kayaks, and even with the shipping price some of the prices on ebay would be less than a newer kayak. It also seems like these are made for fishing, so that would be a plus. Thanks for any info.
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Interesting looking boats. I'm not sure why they call them kayaks though. They look to me as if they have excellent initial stability, almost zero secondary stability, and would require a lot of muscle to move along at the speed many kayakers and canoers paddle. That square stern has always made paddling canoes tougher, just as a comparison.

I wouldn't want to be out in anything with poor secondary stability unless it was a jon boat and had a motor.

Another place to ask opinions is the fishing or general advice forums on paddling.net

Good luck with your purchase!

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Hi Drew,

I'm with Diane on this one. Looks like a "pig in a
    poke" to me.*G* Never seen one, don't know anyone
    that has. Not a pure kayak design, absolutely no
    idea on performance or stability. It bothers me that
    the company is selling out on ebay. Personally, I'd
    take a pass on this one. Warm regards, Jim

Thanks for the input. What would you reccommend then for a starter kayak? I have read with interest and have heard people talking about the wilderness system kayaks? What would be a good inexpensive but not "cheap" kayak to start out with.
    Drew
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

Drew.. what size are you (height and something between size S and 5XL ??), what kind of fishing, what kind of water (small freshwater streams, Gulf of Mexico, fast rivers, big lakes with standing waves)? Any problems with lifting a kayak up onto the top of your car? Are you planning on paddling a long distance or a short distance when you go out to fish? Are you going to be trying to keep up with another boat and, if so, what kind of boat/paddler? Do you have any mobility problems like a bad hip or back or something else that would make it difficult to enter/exit a kayak?

Answer those questions and we can get closer to a recommendation for you.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Diane has some excellent questions. I have a wilderness systems Pungo and their newer Duralite. The Pungo Classic or Pungo Superlite (?) with the older deisgn that has a raised bow is a great boat. mine is a 12'. Good for all around use, ponds to Saltwater. Large cockpit for easy entry. I tricked it out with a rod holder, anchor system and paddle clips and now I'm ready to go.

jed

Hi Drew,

I put "Kayak Missouri" in google and this is but one
    of the replies: http://www.kayakonline.com/missouri.html
    There are others as well. By all means, go talk
    to some of these folks and let them put you in a boat
    and explain some of the details up close and personal. It really is just that easy.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

Zimrx,

Most of your decisions will be based on the availability of kayaks in your area. Many people suggeest you try a few kayaks before you make a decide what you need. I didn't find that easy to do, even in the KC metro area. I went to the big box sporting goods, sat in a couple of yaks in their floor and picked the one that was most comfortable for me. I imagine you've read my [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/warmwater/:f1e6c]Warm Water article[/url:f1e6c] and know the rest of the story.

If you're willing to buy online, I recommend you look at www.kayakfishingstuff.com or www.outdoorplay.com and compare pricing and products there. Pay very close attention to shipping costs!

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

I know it is an unpopular view but how about an inflatable. The inflatables that are being made now are great. The have almost the same preformance as a hardshell and many are a lot cheaper. They are durible since they are made from the same things as whitewater rafts. Best of all is the portability and easy storage. They pack down to something the size of a duffle bag. I love mine and it is by no strech of the imagination a top end model. In fact it is entry level priced.
    Sarge

Wilderness Systems makes some nice boats. I liked the Pungo sit in, and the Tarpon 120 is a great sit on top. If you plan to do a lot of camping, I'd also look at solo canoes. My wenonah vagabond is almost as fast as a yak, weighs less than most kayak, and holds a lot more gear. Just something to consider. Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread