+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on large arbor Reels

Actually, once I used a large arbor reel on the lighter line weight rods I started swapping and selling to get more. It ain't so much for the rapid retrieve or more consistant drag benefits, it's mainly because of the line coiling issue.
    On small conventional reels the spindle comes on rather quickly when stripping line out. That makes for tight coils.

Most of my reels are large arbors and I love them. They bring in line quicker, you have less problems with line coil and they aren't really much heavier than the standard arbors. They're especially nice for fast running fish, like salmon and steelhead. Even for trout fishing, I prefer to play fish from the reel and the large arbors are much better at getting line in quick.

Question about line coils, ... Why do you have them ?

Each day out, while stringing up, I'll stretch the fly lines a bit, quickly getting rid of most coils. It's also a good opportunity to clean the lines with some sort of product or patch.

p.s. ... I use mostly mid and large arbors reels ... I like the pickup speed
    Christopher Chin

I've got some Large Arbors, Mid-Arbors and standards and find each has its uses and advantages. If I'm steelhead fishing I like a large arbor to take advantage of the fast line pickup. A good drag is a real plus as well! I use my mid arbors on small mouth and general trout fishing and my standard arbors for small stream trout and pan fish.

It's probably not a necessity. I fished for years without these new and improved reels and had just as much fun. As I upgrade various equipment components I'm open to trying some of the new stuff like large arbor reels and I've liked how they perform.

Your experience my vary but I wouldn't be afraid to try one.
    Joe Bertolini

Quote Originally Posted by fcch
    Question about line coils, ... Why do you have them ?
    Because the line is wrapped around a very tight radius, silly!

Really, I stretch my lines too but they don't always stay off of the reel after stretching them. I'm big on not having a lot of excess line out that I'm not using so the amount I have off the reel varies considerably during the course of a day. On top of that, sometimes the lines are being usesd in cold weather and water and tend to take a set.
    Bottom line? I just don't see a downside to a well-designed large arbor reel.

+ Reply to Thread