+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on large arbor Reels

Default Thoughts on large arbor Reels

I'm still using regular style reels, (but) I was looking at the Pflueger President large arbor reel and I got the itch. Does any body have any experience with thees reels or other large arbor reels and if so what is your opinion pros and cons.

Thanks
    JAD
    Fish like predator.

I ONLY use the LAs now. In my opinion, they are the only way to go.

Not only do I think they balance out the rod better, the line tends to have "looser" coils.

nighthawk Guest

I could take them or leave them. To me they tend to be bulky and can present balance problems with your outfit. Make certain, as with any rod and reel, that you are going to like the way your rig balances. I just don't see a big advantage over a good small or mid arbor reel. Just my 2 cents worth.

I tend to agree with nighthawk here. Most of my fishing is with 8 1/2' rods in 4 wt and 5 wt and I have tried the wide/large arbor reels and to me I think they throw the balance off on my rods. I really feel, before you purchase one, that you go to your local fly shop with your rod and try one out on it before you purchase. If you really like it, then go for it. The wide/large arbor reels may work real well on larger weight rods in 9 foot or longer, but, I just do not like the feel of them on my rods. It boils down to personal preference.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I prefer large arbor for practical reasons... the main one being line coiling issues and then down the lne to quicker retrieve, more consistant drag, resale value and so on.
    Unless you're talking click-and-pawl vs. LA's with disc drags, I'm not so sure there is a huge weight difference between the two arbor types. The rated weights seem to bare this out.

I have too many "regular" reels to even consider replacing them. Perhaps if it could be proven I would land more fish I could be swayed though I doubt thats gonna happen. In my fishing I have never felt the need for a faster retrieve. And you gotta know what your buying when shopping for LA reels. Some just take out the part of the reel that holds more backing without adding width.

Default Large arbors

I have been using a Teton 3wt reel that weighs 3.5 oz. The Pflueger President Arbor reel weighs 5.6 oz so not that much difference in weight.
    I fish a 3 Wt 9 ft rod, last week on a trip I had several runs and it seemed like it took forever to wind it back in, then I started to notice how often I was winding up line and that got me thinking.

Thanks for replies
    Jad
    Fish like predator.

nighthawk Guest

I must be getting daft. I just noticed that you are from Butler, Pa. I am a Grove City native. Mom's side of the family are butler county folks. Neshannock Creek Fly Shop is worth the trip to help you out and there is plenty of good fishing to make the trip complete. Here is their web site:

http://www.ncflyshop.com/

2.1 oz of weight can be a big difference in balance to some of us. Knowing that there are some big waters in your area I would take a serious look at a mid-arbor. I have an Orvis Rockey Mountain 7/8 Wt large arbor composite reel on a Orvis Clear Water 9' mid-flex rod and it does feel ok. I just cannot get used to the bulk of the large arbor reels but to each his own. Even this rig "feels" out of balance to me.

Hello Nighthawk
    I have been to Bobs shop--Neshannock Creek Fly Shop
    many times, I just thought I would get some back ground, so I knew what I was talking about. Thanks.

Regards

JaD
    Fish like predator.

Large arbor reels definitely have some advantages in certain situations. Mostly those involve large and/or fast running fish. You can retrieve line faster (if the fish is running at you), line memory is lessened as the line is stored in a looser coil, and drag efficiency is increased since the relative spool size doesn't change as drasticly when line is taken off the reel by a running fish. With smaller rods and smaller fish/water, this all becomes much less of an issue. My 8-wt line is on a large arbor reel and I really appreciate the benefits, especially when out after carp, gar, etc. The large arbor reel I have on my 4wt doesn't really do anything special for me. The only reason I got it instead of a mid- or standard arbor was that it was on sale at the time.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread