+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snapping off flys

Default Snapping off flys

I know it's a newbie thing, but I would like to know how many other people experienced this when they started fly fishing and what they did to correct it.

During my first week of fly fishing I lost a few flies to that occasional gymnastic tree that jumped out of nowhere and grabbed my fly. Seriously, I swear I would have known it if that tree was that close when I started my cast. I also lost one to a rock which I'm still not sure how that happend. It must have been one of those ACME flys with the exceptionally sharp hook. I even managed to loose one on a beautiful 10 foot rainbow. Strangly enough though, I must have lost the most amount of flys by just snapping them off. You know, that strange cracking sound you hear on your back-cast? The one that is generally followed by 2 or 3 casts where you swear your sunglasses have lost their polarity. You can't seem to see your fly even though your pretty sure you can see the leader.

I'm pretty sure you all know what I'm talking about, so let me hear your stories. What helped you fix your Indiana Jones cast? I have used the FAOL search function and got a few tips, but would like to hear some more.

Theoretically I know I wasn't giving my back-cast enough time to straiten out, but knowings not doing.

Cheers!

Jonathan

Default Re: Snapping off flys

Quote Originally Posted by YukitaJon
    I know it's a newbie thing, but I would like to know how many other people experienced this when they started fly fishing and what they did to correct it.

During my first week of fly fishing I lost a few flies to that occasional gymnastic tree that jumped out of nowhere and grabbed my fly. Seriously, I swear I would have known it if that tree was that close when I started my cast. I also lost one to a rock which I'm still not sure how that happend. It must have been one of those ACME flys with the exceptionally sharp hook. I even managed to loose one on a beautiful 10 foot rainbow. Strangly enough though, I must have lost the most amount of flys by just snapping them off. You know, that strange cracking sound you hear on your back-cast? The one that is generally followed by 2 or 3 casts where you swear your sunglasses have lost their polarity. You can't seem to see your fly even though your pretty sure you can see the leader.

I'm pretty sure you all know what I'm talking about, so let me hear your stories. What helped you fix your Indiana Jones cast? I have used the FAOL search function and got a few tips, but would like to hear some more.

Theoretically I know I wasn't giving my back-cast enough time to straiten out, but knowings not doing.

Cheers!

Jonathan
    Sounds like problem #17 Leader cracks like a whip on forward cast from Troubleshooting the CAST by ED Jaworoswski.
    A cheap paper back that's helped me a lot.
    nam

Funny (humorous) post I enjoyed.

The problem may not be in your cast, but in your tippet. Age or toher problems may have weakened it. Try a new tippet spool and see if that helps.

I'm a long way from being a great caster, but I have never had this problem. That leads me to question the tippet, not the casting.

Quote Originally Posted by oldfrat
    Funny (humorous) post I enjoyed.

The problem may not be in your cast, but in your tippet. Age or toher problems may have weakened it. Try a new tippet spool and see if that helps.

I'm a long way from being a great caster, but I have never had this problem. That leads me to question the tippet, not the casting.
    Hi oldfrat
    I've never had the problem either but according to Ed some people do.
    Maybe we haven't been casting aggressively enough.
    But according to Ed a weak back cast followed by a, and I quote, "very hard or violent forward cast" will do it. Tippet or knot quality apparently doesn't have much to do with it. I suppose if tippet strength is 10# or above it wouldn't be a problem.
    nam

You're not allowing your backcast to all but completely unfurl. Give it a bit more time.

I was prone to this when I first started out. Mine was a lack of timing (starting my forward cast before my backcast was completely finished) and trying to hard to get a good cast (using too much muscle on the forward cast). So, I agree with namekagon and n2permit. I fixed this problem by turning my head and watching my backcast. It sounds simple and therein lies the beauty of it, it is simple. Keep practicing and it will become simple to you. Good luck.

Jon,
    This is a timing problem. Short line short pause, long line long pause both on the fwd cast and backcast.
    When someone is having trouble with the timing portion of the cast, I will have them turn sideways and cast more horizonal so they can see the back cast. Try this or come down tonight and we can work on the problem.
    Joe

Blog Entries

Joe has a fine idea, turn slightly and watch your backcast. That will ehlp build the sense of timing.

Jon,
    LOL. That's a funny post! I've wanted to go down to the Long Beach Casting Club for a while. I'm going to head down this evening to check them out- maybe you should pack your rod, line (but keep those flies that keep falling off at home) and head down there tonight too. We'll find out what's cracking the whip together. C-ya tonight?
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Yep, sounds like you're breaking the sound barrior on your back cast!

I do understand the "moving" trees. There's one in Little Spearfish Canyon that I just automatically go up to now, and throw a handful of flies at ... you know, sort of an offering to the tree to let me have at least one clean cast!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread