+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing for trout has ruined my fishing!

Default Fly fishing for trout has ruined my fishing!

I live on the Mn border and used to be a walleye and fanatical bass fisherman.
    Since really, and I mean really, getting serious about fly fishing about 5 yrs a go I find myself fishing a lot less.
    It seems all I have are trout dreams! Sure I've taken the odd excursion...fishing the Namekagon and the Brule. The Nam always skunked me but the Brule, besides giving me a bath once or twice, once gave me a 19" bow and that just made matters worse.
    I suppose I could set a goal of a nice 5# + largemouth on a fly but jeez.
    The Straight River is the closest fishery to me...$60 and 3 hrs+ round trip. I've never fished her but plan on it before end of season.
    Pardon my vent...but just traded some squirrel tails with Greg and when I told him I was a trout fisherman wannabee he offered to send some gill flys instead of the original nymphs...that really hurt!
    nam

WOW! What a beautiful stretch of river!

Man what I wouldn't give to be able to be standing on the edge of that pool drifting a dry fly through her. Sweeeeeeet!

Hook up!

Terry

"The solution to any problem - work, love, money, whatever - is to go fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." - John Gierach

Here's the Namekagon.
    Beautiful but, for me, colder than a lost love's heart.
    nam

I'm curious. Why do you seek trout when you have some pretty neat other species nearby?

In my case, I can use flies to go after other species down here at only about 5500 feet, or go up into the mountains to fish for trout. I go after the trout mostly because they live in the most beautiful and peaceful places, not because I prefer catching them to other species. I C&R everything caught, so flavor is not an issue.

Default Trout, why?????

Namekagon,

I'll admit trout are fun to catch, but I'd not walk across the road to catch them if I lived within an hours drive of a smallmouth fishery.

You have some outstanding bass waters near you, and smallies on the fly are a true joy.

I understand that the smallies are more difficult to fool, they are, after all, more evolved than the salmonids and we all like dumb fish, but it's well worth the effort.

I'd just forget about trout, fish for the bass, be happy.

Just goes to show that we seem to want what's not 'close' to us. I'd sell the kid for access to fishing like you have up there (without that awful white stuff, though, I don't do snow).

Good Luck!

Buddy

ps; tie a 12 inch smallmouth tail to tail with a 20 inch trout, the trout will have to learn to swin backwards.....BS
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Guys...an obvious addiction that I can't quite explain.
    Maybe I've read to many of the classics.
    I'm definitely not trying to be an elitist!
    In fact my wife was telling me just the other day that huge bullheads are taking bread off a duck pond in the city park not three blocks down.
    I've been thinking a brown bivis....my 1st bull on the fly...and surface besides.
    If I succeed, I'll post a photo.
    True story...not trying to be a facetious.
    Smallies...yes wonderful smallies... unfortunately, river fishing from me as far as trout.
    nam

Do you fish for Bass and Walleye on the fly? I live in trout country and still make sure I take the time for some Bass fishing as well. Each species is different and has different joys.
    For me, Striped Bass is like your trout. Something to be looking forward to. A 2 ~ 3 hour ride to fish for them. Its great fun, but enjoy whats nearby too.

jed

Hey there Nam,
    I share your sentiments. For me also, if it ain't trout, it ain't worth it. AND, if the water doesn't move, I do.
    I consider that a statement and NOT a sermon. Others may differ.

Mark

Trout must be God's favorite fish because He put them into His most beautiful waters.

Nam,
    I live over the river in WI and have 4 trout streams within 20 miles of my house. I barely fish for trout. SMALLMOUTH BASS! You live a short drive from both the Ottertail and the Mississippi. Give it a try. A 20 inch river smallie will cure you of this trout nonsense.

Steve in the spirit of fun;

The 20" bass will cure you of this trout nonsense

The subtle take of a trout sipping an emerger will cure you of this bass nonbsense

The fight of a bass will ...

The beauty of a brookie in fall fall color will ...

If you've ever seen a pike run up to and devour a fly...

If you've ever experienced a Striper make your reel sing...

After a pan full of Perch you'll never fish for anything else...

Pound for Pound the Blue Gill will match any fish...

Hook a Salmon and watch the show. After that all other fights are mundane ...

and on and on and on...

I want it ALL!

jed

+ Reply to Thread