+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alsea river fishing

1. Default Alsea river fishing

I plan to fish Oregon's Alsea river for Coastal cutthroats on about October 9. Would appreciate any advice or tips for this southeastern angler. Thanks Cracker

Give Matt a call at the Scarlet Ibis in Corvallis.

Might want to post this over on the Oregon board at Westfly.com. Several knowledgable SRC fishermen there.

Dean

Actually, a couple of us Westfly guys are getting together for a SRC rondi October 7-8th. We haven't decided which coastal river(s) to fish yet, but you're more than welcome to attend. Check on the Westfly board for the details.

Regards,
    Joe Martin
    Salem, OR

Rent a small boat and take it to the head of tide about 13 miles up from the mouth. Then fish down river and back about 2 miles. Fish under brush & trees and over rocks and by logs. Fish a dry line with full bodied streamer flies just under the surface. It is easier on an outgoing tide as incoming tides have lots of leaves & sea weed that foul your fly. Fish very bright patterns with orange/red/yellow. See the Atlantic tying section here for Skykomish Sunrise, Santiam Sunrise and the like. In late evening you can go to black skunks. The darker patterns are easier seen at night against the darker sky. Strip the flies back in in small jerks. If you miss a strike and the fish feels the barb, cast back to it. It won't be afraid, they want to get even. They will come back time after time. Use 8 pound leader. There are also steelhead and salmon and the size of leader does not matter in the salt.

Have fun.

6. Default

Thanks guys for the good information. Joe, I wish you luck on the 7th and 8th. I'm flying in on the 7th (Portland) and can't take you up on your offer, but nice of you to invite me.
    Pete that sounds like good advise from someone who has done it. A special thanks to you!
    Cracker

Cracker,

I've been playing with Reverse Spider patterns (see archives)on the Alsea and they've been picking up a few sea-runs. Yellow with tan mallard hackle has been the most productive. The river is very low, but fish can be found in the pools below riffles. Put your fly right in the foam at the head of a pool. Hope we get a good rain before you arrive.

Good luck and take care of those fish, they're rare and beautiful.

Bill

8. Default

Thanks for your input Bill. Rest assured that if I do manage to catch any fish they will live to fight again.
    Tied up some of those reverse spiders a couple of days ago. Weird lookimg things!

Regards Cracker

+ Reply to Thread