In praise of Furled Fluorocarbon Leaders

Wow! As a newbie, I worked hard at getting my fly down to the fish. I spent endless hours casting split shot that made bolos out of my tippet. These unguided missiles left my leader in knots, sometimes hit my rod and wrapped around it, found every stickup to be hung in. But, as a newbie I did knot (pun intended) know any better. Until, Robin Rhyne (rrhyne56 on this forum) told me about using Furled Fluorocarbon Leaders. These leaders sink. They allow me to get my Olive Size 2, Wooly Bugger down to the fish. Some of the results as shown below.

This is Grandson, Robert, 13 and I fishing the Independence Creek. We hit Mike?s hole and look out. We each got 7-10 nice bass in 45 minutes. Robert is not fly-fishing; he is using a Watermelon candy tube. We got two doubles that day, really fun to enjoy with a Grandson. The leaders got my fly down and that did the job. I am using Robin?s four foot model with 2 feet of Vanish 4 lbs test and the size two Wooly. One four pounder nearly ripped the rod outta my hands, GREAT FUN! I got 15 total Saturday and Tooter (Robert) about 25 total.

Take a child fishing, especially a Grand Child!