I'm pretty conflicted on this. On the one hand, it sounds really hard to keep sand out of boots, which will eventually ruin waders. Salt water will probably chew through boots, too. On the other hand, boot fit waders look uncomfortable, and while they look fine for wading salt flats, you'd probably need to add something like Korkers studded sandals to be able to walk on streams.

I think I'm leaning toward stocking foot and buying an inexpensive pair of boots to start with. When those boots get thrashed by the salt then I buy a nicer pair for streams and keep thrashing on the old salt pair. I've read wearing neoprene socks between the boot and the wader sock can help, and maybe some kind of brush guard. Don't know where to get these things, but I'm sure the internet can help me hunt them down.

Like I said, I'm conflicted and could be pursuaded to go either way. But I need to make a decision in the next couple weeks-- October water starts getting chilly for my taste!

Micropteris, how do your Korkers hold up in salt? If they're the interchangeable sole kind, I'd be concerned about the corrosion affecting the sole replacement system.

Thanks again guys. This has been very helpful!