+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Waders- what foot type for streams and surf? (rocks+sand)

Default Waders- what foot type for streams and surf? (rocks+sand)

Everyone here has been so helpful with my newbie questions so far. I hope you?ll have patience for another one! (and more coming, I?m sure?)

As September puts a little chill in the air here in Connecticut, I?m thinking of buying some waders. Standing up to my sensitive bits in Long Island Sound the other evening as the sun and temperature dropped got me a little more serious about this.

Here?s my dilemma. I fish about 50% salt water from a beach or sand bar and 50% streams and rivers. The local shop recommends buying boot foot waders because of the sand and gravel on the beaches here. He says it gets into your boots and will destroy your waders. However, rubber boots aren?t going to be very good for streams and rivers with slippery rocks, which is where I do about half of my fishing.

I?m willing to spend the money for a quality setup that will last for years, but buying one setup for fresh and one for salt is ridiculous. As I see it, my options are to 1) go with boot foot and put some kind of traction over the top, or 2) go with stocking foot and boots (I like the idea of Korkers interchangeable soles) and then figure out how to protect the stocking foot from all the sand and gravel.

How do the rest of you deal with this?

Thanks in advance!

MuddlerMinnow aka Charlie

Dear Charlie,

You probably won't like my answer, but I am going to give it to you anyway.

You will absolutely be better off with bootfoot waders in salt. Sand gets into everything and wet sand is heavy and uncomfortable when it fills your wading shoes. If you walk much you will definitely increase the chances or prematurely wearing out or damaging the neoprene booties found on most stockingfoot breathable waders.

Waders that feature built-in gravel guards help to minimize the influx of sand but they will not eliminate it entirely.

If you intend to fish from, or cross, or walk on jetties in the salt you are almost required to have some sort of heavy duty traction aiding cleats or chains. The moss and slime and algae that is common on jetties is extremely slippery.

One spill on a wet jetty could cost you a broken limb or even your life. I've seen unconcious people carried off jetties by rescue personnel on more than one occasion. If there hadn't been witnesses I can only imagine what could have happened.

I would take you local shop's advice and look at bootfoot waders with either Aquastealth or felt soles. Depending on which manufacturer you chose you can get studs on bootfoots. If you choose to go without studs stay away from rocks and jetties in the salt.

If you get non-studded soles you have several options to add traction. The least expensive and one of the best ways is to get a pair of rubber overshoes that have metal golf spikes or aluminum discs in them. Next in expense are the wrap-around chains, but they frequently fall off in the fit isn't absolutely perfect. Most expensive, but extremely rugged are Korkers or similar strap-on cleated soles.

Enjoy the salt, but don't take unnecessary risks with your gear or your limbs. If you will not be near jetties or rocks you can get by fine with plain bootfoot waders. You may even chose to get an inexpensive pair of bootfoot waders and spend the bulk of your money on a more versatile pair for use in freshwater. Whatever you choose to do, get a wading belt and wear it!

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

Default Waders

I am interested in what everyone has to say about this subject. I too use footstocking wader (breathable) for stream and rivers but recently started fishing for stripers on the flats off of Cape Cod. The first year I believe I ruined a pair due to sand getting into the wading shoe, at the time I did not realize what the problem was with the wader. Now I have a second pair and this past summer I finally thought about it and started to ask others about footware. I believe there is no way around it, I have to have a pair for my stream fishing and a pair of bootwaders for the flats. Only problem, a footstocking wader is so much more comfortable for walking. Any suggestion, makes, and tricks would be appreciated.

i got a pair of bootfoot laceup, best of both worlds
    -----
    Roger
    Princess Anne, Md

I have a pair of stocking foot waders that I use on sand beaches. I like the support the laced wading boot gives particuarly if I have them on when traveling from spot to spot. Some sand does get in them but I haven't had a problem with them tearing up my neoprene. Everyone I know that uses the boot foot waders says how great they are for the sand but complain that they always spring leaks where the boot meets the wader material which is difficult to fix so they only last a year or two any way. I have had my waders for two years and usually leave them in the back of my pickup without any leaks so far.

Korkers are well worth the money if fishing rocks.[/i]
    Your hooks sharp????

While I realize they aren't a sponsor here, I think the best solution for you is the West Branch Integrated Boot-Foot Waders, Aqua Stealth, from L.L Bean. The boots lace up for better ankle support and you can add screw in cleats to the Aqua Stealth soles for better traction in very slippery conditions, but don't need them for normal wading. The Aqua Stealth sole gives good traction in snow; doesn't load up like felt does, is a good hiking sole, and wears as good as or better than felt.
    Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

I'm pretty conflicted on this. On the one hand, it sounds really hard to keep sand out of boots, which will eventually ruin waders. Salt water will probably chew through boots, too. On the other hand, boot fit waders look uncomfortable, and while they look fine for wading salt flats, you'd probably need to add something like Korkers studded sandals to be able to walk on streams.

I think I'm leaning toward stocking foot and buying an inexpensive pair of boots to start with. When those boots get thrashed by the salt then I buy a nicer pair for streams and keep thrashing on the old salt pair. I've read wearing neoprene socks between the boot and the wader sock can help, and maybe some kind of brush guard. Don't know where to get these things, but I'm sure the internet can help me hunt them down.

Like I said, I'm conflicted and could be pursuaded to go either way. But I need to make a decision in the next couple weeks-- October water starts getting chilly for my taste!

Micropteris, how do your Korkers hold up in salt? If they're the interchangeable sole kind, I'd be concerned about the corrosion affecting the sole replacement system.

Thanks again guys. This has been very helpful!

+ Reply to Thread