+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gonna Try Saltwater

Default Gonna Try Saltwater

Hey guys just a quick question. After tackling this fly fishing I want to give Salt water a try for Reds and speckled Trout. I was hoping to hit some of the flats / bays around Port Aransas, Tx. Is this posiible from a pontoon boat? I have a two man ODC 1220 . I can handle it pretty well but do not know how it is in these kind of situations. Any suggestions appreciated.

Derrick

A couple of things would concern me using a pontoon boat. I fish from a kayak myself and occassionally the wind blows over 20 knots which makes paddling difficult. I can't imagine the difficulties you would have with a higher profile boat like a pontoon boat. Second, the water is shallow in places and you may run over oyster shell and that usually leaves deep gouges in my plastic kayak. I would think running into that in an inflatable would puncture it in a heartbeat. These are just my thoughts.

Just working on casting on saltwater is enough of a challenge to start with. I think I'd vote for wading first and if you still like it, then consider taking the pontoon. The wind almost always blows, so casting AND keeping your position afloat is going to be difficult.

Thanks for the input. I give it a try wading first, didn't realize there were greater challenges.

Is it still possible to wade in for reds and speckled trout?

Thanks again

Derrick

lol- you betcha it's possible. There are hundreds of wade fishermen around here, most using conventional gear, but some using fly rods. The area between Aransas Pass and Port A offers many many spots where you can wade. PLus you could fish the jetties at Port A, either the surf side OR the channel side.

But do be prepared for wind. It's pretty much a constant here. Today for example was close to 20 most of the day.

Here's a link to the NWS forecast for Corpus Christi, which covers Port A. As you can see, it's gonna be a tad breezy this weekend.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... X&site=CRP

Default Rust

Seen plenty of people fishing the salt from a pontoon boat. Have to watch rust though, the metal frame is not really suited to the salt. Useful if you are handy with a welding kit.

As mentioned, always safety first. Even wading, the sea deserves respect. Friend last night decided to leave his yak and fish from the shore as there was a strong wind forecast. The shoreward wind increased the incoming tide and he almost got cut off near some cliffs; got knocked over by some rollers and pulled in by an undercurrent. This guy is one of the most experienced salty fishermen I know and he still got caught out. Thankfully he finished the session with only a few bruises, some hard learnt lessons, quite wet and a nice fish.

Here is a picture he took of the fish before returning it, with the camera perched on a rock. Stunning sunset.

Thanks for the extra info. Wow. I am getting moire excited as the days go by. Do you think an 8wt or 9 wt is approprite.

Thanks

Derrick

Blog Entries

hi

Here is a link to some "broad brushstroke" information on Texas flats fly fishing.
    http://gorp.away.com/gorp/publishers...oast/intro.htm

It will require that you register with GORP but that's free and spam-free if you pay attention as you register. Basically a free book online!

Hope you have a blast on the coast!
    best

Robin

+ Reply to Thread