Wow, what a great topic.

I am from the home of BPS and it has driven most fly shops out of business. I would rather go to BPS cause they didnt have the "Is that all your going to spend" or "A teenager, must be up to no good" approach that a local fly shop had. I later moved to Fayettevill Ar to attend college. And now its like a complete 180. We have 3 dedicated fly shops and a couple other sporting goods stores that carry a pretty good selection of fly fishing stuff not to mention walmart carries fly fishing stuff here (not in springfield). Here are my initial experiences with the three new shops when I first moved here (I visited all three the same day).

Shop A- I go in, am greeted. The shop is pretty nice, hardwood floors etc. I browse around thinking about picking up a couple flies. I was explaining the gear to a buddy who was getting into the art. My buddy had a "Larry the Cable Guy" (cut off sleeves flannel) shirt on. Eventually talk to the guy for a little bit and get the impression that my buddy is an outsider and isnt all that welcome. I wont go back unless I have to get something Orvis (I bought a pair of waders there).

Shop B- Is a little out of the way but we made the trip. The shop has an outdoor adventure store attached and most clients are pretty wealthy and fashionable, immediately got the impression we were out of place. Overall they were pretty nice, but the staff wasnt all that knowledgeable. I stop in every now and then, but really only go there when I get a sale coupon.

Shop C- My pride and joy. Its called McLellan's. Todd and Michael (owners)are awesome. They loved my buddy. Gave him great ideas about his first rod, they didnt carry any of them either. He eventually stepped up to a higher quality one, and guess where he bought it? They fish all the time and give great reports. They offer classes and such. There flies are about double the price of a local sporting goods store, but I still go the shop cause they have great suggestions on how to fish it and the little tips and tricks that turn a good trip into a great trip. They have stayed after hours a couple times to set up a new reel so I could use it the next morning. They arent trout snobs, they cater to all types of local warm water species. They will take the time to show you how to tie a fly if you have a question. Overall, they know that they cant beat the lowest price but will make up for that with there great service and attitude. I buy just about everything there.[/url]