I was fishing a new (to me) part of a river yesterday. Picking up fish on a regular basis when I came to a very interesting section. Main part of the river (likely a small stream to some of you) in this area was 30 - 40 feet across and 2 - 3 feet deep. Opened up at a bend to 150 feet or so wide and a deep pool - 10+ feet. Where the river widened, along the edge of the pool, was one of the largest eddies I've seen in a small river like this (80+ feet X 50 feet or so). In the middle of the eddy, I could clearly see at least 10 browns actively feeding just below the surface. (Small #22 or 24 BWO hatch going strong). BTW, they were all facing in different directions.

Now the problem: For the next hour I tried to catch one of those actively feeding fish - without success. I tried casting up, down and across with dries, wets, emergers, nymphs and even a streamer. Pile cast didn't help and it was too far for dapping. The fish were in the middle of the eddy, current going every which way, lots of food swirling around them - and I couldn't find an approach where I could get the fly (other than the streamer) to them without the eddy messing up the drift. (I even tried a longer - and a shorter leader. With all that goofing around, the fish continued to feed). Remember, I had been catching fish prior to (and after) finding this eddy, so I think current is the problem, not choice of fly)

So what would you do to catch them?

All helpful ideas will be put to the test on my next trip........