+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dry Fly Hackle

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

Default Dry Fly Hackle

ok I have been tying flies for a while but mostly Big gawdy salmon flys and alaska rainbow patterns which are easy and fun to tie...But In march I will move yet again to the lower 48 so I have all winter to tie dries and nymphs for my new home.

first of all what does #1 #2 #3 mean on the hackle packets im asuming quality and dose it actually pay to spend 2x the price for the #1 instead of getting #3

second of all what is the different from the neck and saddles?

Blog Entries

PaGuy,
    The #2 and #3 grade is usually the same quality, but there aren't as many usuable feathers as with #1. If at all possible, I would look at the hackle before buying it. The main difference between a neck and saddle is the size of the hackles. With most saddles you will find 2 to 3 sizes of hackle, with necks you have a wider range of sizes.
    Steve
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Just get a Whiting Pro Grade Cape, they are $22 and will tie all the flies you will need for a long time in a full range of sizes. Don't let the grade fool you Whiting has such high standards that they are just no match for other brands. When it comes to grade with Whiting a higher grade will get you more flies per cape or saddle and cost you less. Saddles are from the back of the bird and one saddle will have about a range of four sizes. The cape is around the neck of the bird and has a more fuller range of sizes.
    If you plan on tying a ton of flies and you have the money go for the top grade, dont for get every fly has a different shade of color it needs and spending $50 for each color can add up, that is the main reason I tie with the Whiting Pro's.
    Joe Fox

Little Rock AR, wishing I was still in Anchorage, AK

thanks for the help, I went and bought a brown neck #3 grade it should work. I still need to pick up a couple more colors probably a black, grizzly, cream, and dun to start out with. I also picked up a wittings variaty pack that has a little bit of hackle I could use

Default About Hackle

+ Reply to Thread