+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shore Trolling?

Default Shore Trolling?

I haven't heard of anyone else doing this, so until I do, I'm claiming it as mine and calling it "shore trolling".

Had a great time last night on a local catch and release warm water fisher, multiple 8" gills and 9-10" bass on the 2 wt, with a beadhead PT. Anyway, when I decided it was time to get back home, I cast out about 20-30 feet of line, and strolled along the shoreline with my rod sticking out over the water. Something I've often done when travelling from point A to point B, or in moving water when the current has pushed the fish close to shore. Hooked in to a nice 2 - 3 lb bass, who popped thee line after 5 minutes or so, because I underestimated him, and I thought my slow rod would give enough shock absorption... should have played him on the reel.

Anyway, next time you're walking back to the car, I suggest flipping that streamer/nymph into the water, and work that 3-5 foot area off of the shoreline. Two benefits of "shore trolling", you're covering lot's of water, and like one my uncles told me, one of the secrets to catching more fish is keeping your lure wet. I guess this wouldn't work if you're walking down stream, but I've caught a ton of fish on still water and walking up stream (usually with a beadhead woolly bugger for smallies) using this technique.

Default trolling

Yup I do that kinna trolling on a local lake where I frequently fish. I call it doing a stroll troll. Same concept, different name. Feel free ta use stroll troll ifn ya want. Kinna rolls off the tongue and peeps look at ya like ur crazy when ya say it.

I like it... You can even shorten it up and just say you're strolling.

One thing I failed to mention is that there is a distinct advantage in using a fly rod to do this, give the extra foot or two you typically have over a spin-fisher.

+ Reply to Thread