Well . . . thank goodness for camera filters. All my lenses have filters on them. All are the standard UV filter. Sometimes I use polarizing filters as well. Well this week a co-worker borrowed the camera (Canon 10D) and a couple lenses for a fishing trip. Accidents happen and my Canon 100mm Ultrasonic Macro lens got dropped from about 4 feet onto a concrete parking lot. OUCH!!

Well it landed right on the end of the lens where the UV filter screws on. Thank goodness for that filter. The fliter glass and aluminium ring absorbed the blow and was destroyed. No sweat as these are only around $35.00. Thankfully the filter took the beating and except for a few scratches on the outer lens body, the lens was unharmed. It took 2 of us to remove the crushed filter ring but was relieved to see the threads on the lens were undamaged.

So, not only does the UV filter help with your photos (and protect your lens glass from scratches and dirt), in this case it 100% saved a $700 lens!

Rather be lucky that good I always say . . .

Just passing along as an FYI for those that have SLR's and might not have a UV filter on them. They are multi-purpose

Hats off to Canon as well for making lenses that can take a beating.