Hare's Ear's post about tree grabbing flies got me thinking. Fly fishing remains a mystery to me, especially when I go fishing and these things happen. I stand there and ask myself, how come?
  • * ?my fly snags on my waders, shirt, pants, hat, trees, rocks, and everything else except the corner of a fishes mouth?
    *?leader to tippet knots & tippet to fly knots come undone but tangles are forever?
    *?waders don?t leak when it?s really hot and humid?
    *?the flies I spend all night tying for a trip don?t work and the flies I already had do?
    *?I always run out of the tippet size I never use?
    *?when I need to retrieve a snagged fly, I?m wearing hippers and the pool in front of the snag is 4 feet deep?
    *?no matter how many pit stops I made on the way, nature calls immediately after the waders are on?
    *?a trout will attack a leaf, feather, cigarette butt, or gum wrapper but ignore my offerings?
    *...the worst tangles happen at dusk during a hatch with tons of rising fish all around?
    *?when I forget my fishing license, the ranger shows up?
    *? sinking dry flies & floating wet flies sometime work better than floating dry flies & sinking wets?
    *?the tree branch always grabs the back-cast JUST BEFORE I attempt to deliver the fly?
    *?the hatch I drove 2 hours to fish was ?better last week? no matter when I get there?
    *?a 6? trout on a dry fly makes you happy but a 12? chub pi$$es you off?
    *?the item you can?t be without, never seems necessary when you forget it at home?
    *?when I get up at 2:00 am to get, ?my spot?, nobody shows up at the creek all day?
    *?when I am fishing tiny flies and gossamer tippets, the wind ONLY blows when I?m casting?
    *?scratching the hatch works just as well as matching the hatch?
?Hatch-es, hatch-es?I don?t need no stinkin? hatch-es!?

What are your fly fishing mysteries?