I took a couple of friends on a float fishing trip yesterday. Wonderful day for fishing, especially since I haven't been out for awhile. We hooked and landed some great trout. I am used to casting to the bank and hooking trees, grass, muskrats, moss, rocks, cement pilings and everything but fish. I have learnd to generally break off and keep on a going. Broken rods are a great learning factor. The friend on the front of my boat snagged the russian olives trees a couple of times. I spend a lot of energy trying to row up stream so we could unhook a $1.50 fly from the tree, we ended up in the trees with the boat, scratched my drift boat, ended up with pieces of trees in the boat, and trying too row with one oar His fly rod actually came apart once, we then had to fish the end of his rod out of the river, lost the fly anyway. I have ended up in some real messing trying to retrieve a fly or something interesting thing hanging from a tree. My question is why can't most people including myself just snap the fly and tie another fly on on the leader? I am wondering what effort has other fly fisher's gone to to retrieve a darn $1.50 fly.