On September 9th I had a unique experience for me, I was fishing Sage Hen Resivoir 1.5 hrs from Boise. There have been many forest fires in the area and you could hardly see over the resivoir due to the smoke.
I went for a walk with the kids and saw the fish going nuts over flies in the air. Some of the smaller fish were jumping a foot or so out of the water.
I could hardly wait to try and catch a few but ended up hiking with the family.

Later that day when swimming with the kids, we were covered with many larger mayflies while in the water.
After making dinner I left the family in camp grabed my waders and made a cut for the water.
I caught many fish wading using Harrops Rusty Para Spinners in size 14. A fish would rise I would cast to the rise and "Fish On!"
I was wishing I had a float tube to go after some of the bigger fish further from the inlet.
I had a bait caster ask me, "Are you going to keep those?" Me, "No" "Can I have them?" Me, "No, I want to catch them again next year."

The spinners had wings that looked very much like grizzly hackle, and they were big with long, very long tails Callibeatis? That Harrops fly was an exact match.

I did not catch a Cut or Rainbow under 14".

I believe the smoke cooled the weather enough for an excellent hatch to take place.

Sheldon