+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TU float tubes

Default TU float tubes

I noticed the query about tubes and wanted to know if anyone has any experience with the line put out by Trout Unlimited, especially the Togiak. The few reviews I could find thought the Fish Cat 4 was superior. Also, has anyone tried the new Cabela's Kamloops? Thanks.

rick,
    I bought a Togiak last year and only had the chance to use it twice. Both times I was happy with the performance and I look forward to using it again this year. I'm 250+ pounds and it floats me well. It tracks well and maneuvers well, even with less than perfect fins. However, if money was no object, I'd buy a Super Fat Cat. But for that price I could have two Togiaks and a decent fly line to boot. I've also heard good things about the Fish Cat 4, but have no experience there.

------------------
    A free gift waits for those who ask.
    -----------------
    Lotech Joe

I was half-way considering the TU Kennebec, but I saw something last night that changed my mind. The episode of FlyFishTV featured float tube fishing in Georgia, and they happened to be using two of those tubes. Both guys using them looked to be less than 200lbs, but they were down quite low in the water. This wasn't due to the tube not having enough floatation by any stretch, just a low slung or worn out seat.

Looked like a great tube except for that.

Rick,
    I have a TU Kennebec pontoon tube and used it for 2-3 years. Have since puchased a full pontoon. It did sit you down in the water but not as much as a regular tube. It was well made and seemed to be easier to get around in than a regular round tube.
    I still use it if space is limited and I want to get out on the water.
    Jon from Idaho

I have owned both the TU Togiak and the Outcast Fat Cat 4. The Fat Cat is made far better than the Togiak. When I first got the TU tube I was very pleased. The actual design is not the problem. The materials used in making the product is where the fault lies. Bottom line is durability. A hard used Fat Cat will far outlast a hard used Togiak. I went through two of them. They both blew seems in the covers in exactly the same place. Both got minute puncture holes overly easy. And neither would hold air very long with even the smallest pin hole in it. After the second blew the seam, I decided to trash the tube and get a Fat Cat. It is a little heavier, but the materials and craftmanship is much better. I would not hesitate to steer someone away from the Togiak, and in a heartbeat direct them towards the Outcast products.

Tight lines
    Jeff

I looked at several tubes last year, and what I heard over and over was the same thing...you get what you pay for. Well, being in a specialized field, I could relate. I bought a Super Fat Cat. I sit on that thing for 8 hours or more, over several days, and feel great when it's over. Like most things, don't look at price, look at cost per use. The Outcast line's quality is outstanding.

+ Reply to Thread