+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to fish around Orlando?

Default Where to fish around Orlando?

I'm heading down to Orlando, FL, towards the end of October. Does anyone know about surf fishing opportunities that time of the year. I've got all the gear, just need to know where would be a good spot or two, and what species to be on the lookout for, as well as license requirements, etc.

Thanks in advance,

Thunderthumbs.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

I don't fish that coast so I can't help you there but here is the link to obtain your license.

http://floridaconservation.org/license/

Keep in mind that our salt and fresh water licenses are separate. If you plan on fishing both you'll need both.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

First of all, there is no "surf" in Orlando to fish. However, there are pleanty of bass lakes in the area.

Check out the folks at Orlando Outfitters (http://www.orlandooutfitters.com/). TJ and his dad Tim are great. The should be able to point you in the right direction.

If you have the time, I'd recommend making a trip to the coast to fish the Mosquito Lagoon.

Quote Originally Posted by PG Flyfisher
    First of all, there is no "surf" in Orlando to fish.
    Well, I would hope he has taken a look at a map and has seen where Orlando is and has decided it wouldn't be too far of a drive to do some surf fishing.

Well, I haven't actually looked at a map to see where Orlando is. I'm going there for a conference and will be able to take an extra day or two to fish. My boss told me that it was on the beach, hence the post. I appreciate to geography lesson. I will be giving my boss a severe beating about the head and shoulders (will post pics later) for helping me look like this.

I'm sure I could actually talk him into taking a drive to Mosquito Lagoon. Any specific patterns I should tie?

Thanks again,

Thunderthumbs.

Depending on where you are in Orlando, you'll be approximately 45 minutes to an hour from the coast. Titusville, is due east of Orlando. There are a number of parks in Titusville that will afford you an opportunity to wade fish in the Indian River.

Since you've never fished the area, I highly recommend a guide. Fishing the No Motor Zone is an all day trip with a guide. Capt. John Kumiski is one of the best guides in the area (www.spottedtail.com). He will put you on bull reds within sight of the space shuttle's launch pad. A surreal experience.

Black or fox tail clousers work well in the Lagoon.

You can't swing a dead cat in Orlando without hitting a pond. Bring some bass flies with you and work the ponds around your hotel in the evenings.

Thank you so much for the info. I've never heard of a dead cat pattern, but I think I can come up with something creative. I'll let you know if what you say is true.
    Either way I'll be taking my rods and a few salties and bass poppers. If I can take an extra day or two I'll definately head over to the lagoon and see if I can get into some of those reds you mentioned.

All the best,

Thunderthumbs.

Quote Originally Posted by FL_SKIBUM
    Well, I would hope he has taken a look at a map and has seen where Orlando is and has decided it wouldn't be too far of a drive to do some surf fishing.
    PG Flyfisher,

I stand corrected. I offer my apology.

FL-SkiBum - No apology necessary. It's all in fun. No matter where you are in the State, the Atlantic or the Gulf is no more than an hour-and-a-half drive away (assuming there is little traffic).

Thunderthumbs - Orlando is in the center of the State. You can head east and be at the Atlantic or head West and be at the Gulf in relatively the same amount of time. The wade fishing is better on the Gulf coast. There are a lot of mud flats on the east coast. Good luck regardless of where you go.

Well, after all your help and suggestions, it turns out that my boss has decided to forgo Orlando for Las Vegas. Thanks again everyone, at least I'll have an idea for next time.

Thunderthumbs.

P.S. I was really looking forward to wetting a line in FL, but now maybe I'll be able to catch a roadrunner on a dry with my 2wt!

+ Reply to Thread