+ Reply to Thread

Thread: VPS question

Default VPS question

I got a question for those familiar with the VPS line of rods from Sage. I know that they were once called the RPL line. I test cast one while at one of the shows this past winter and really liked it. However I wasn't able to measure how well it could carry a line with a heavier streamer or nymph in moderate winds. Obviously the cast with the streamer would be a longer one than that with the nymph. The rod I cast felt like it had a good amount of power reserved in the butt section for just such tasks, but before I buy one I wanted to ask some experienced with the rods. Thanks for the input

Jeff

Oh, yeah, I am speaking of a 5wt rod.

Tight lines

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

I have a 9' 2 piece 5wt built for me on a VPS blank and I fish nymphs and streamers 98% of the time, and in my own opinion, I think it handles beautifully. I did want one built on an XP blank but could not afford the the cost at the time. The rod builder told me, we are friends and he has fished with me, that he felt I would be pleased with the way the VPS blank fished and he was right. In my own opinion, I think you will be pleased with the VPS.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

3. Default

i cast out small streamers with my 8'9" 3wt vps light. sometimes ill even use a sinking tippet. im not make very far cast though but it works

4. Default

I am a fan of Sage rods and have used VPS rods in the wt you mention. A 6wt may work better for heavy trout flies but a 9' for a 5 will handle bigger streamers and nymphs(like up to size 2 or 4) out to medium distance 45 -50' if you need to cast that far. St. Croix LU in same config. may work as well or better for those purposes and may be a few $ cheaper.

The VPS is my favorite fw rod. I've got a 9 ft 5 wt. that I've used for...well everything! It's been on float trips and on the flats for schoolies.

I've used sink tips for shad including weighted tandem rigs. Nymph's for western trout. Small clouser minnows for schoolies and baby bluefish. Someone else will have to tell you how well it does for dry fly presentations...

I keep looking at the used RPL's and VPS's and wondering what a 6, 7, or 8 would do.

Thanks for the responses. After casting the rod at the show I figure it would be a very nice dry fly rod. I was just curious as to how it would handle streamers and nymphs. I'll keep the St. Croix LU in mind as well. It just seemed a little clunkier than the sage. Maybe even an XP may be the ticket.

Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

I have a 8.5ft 5wt VPS and a 9ft 5wt Legend Ultra. I prefer to use the VPS and only bring out the Legend Ultra when the wind is really strong or the flies are exceedingly heavy. I fish weighted woolly buggers up to a size 4 or 6 with it and don't have any problems, and have used it on some large deer hair poppers without trouble.
    Adam

+ Reply to Thread