I have been making some serious headway in the past couple of days with my bamboo project(s). I've Built my rod station/storage box (because if I dedicate one more corner of the apt to fishing stuff I think my girlfriend might move out). I spent all morning sat. casting the rods and deciding which one will make a better 2/3wt banty. I think I have some real prospects. I should be getting my cork to turn the handle and will be stripping it tonight or tomorrow.

My question is about varnish. I had read somewhere to apply a few coats before I wrap my guides. Is this suggested? If so how many is a few. I haven't decided if I am going to use a dip tube yet. Is it only necessary to apply a few coats before if you're using a dip tube? Do you use the dip tube after you put on the guides also? If your not using a dip tube, i.e. brushing the varnish on, do you have to pre-coat? How many coats of varnish, on average, should I use? Like I said in the topic, I'm just a little confused on the order of things.