Hello All,
So as per everyone's wonderful (as always) advice I began my fly tying odyssey using Al Campbell's wonderful lessons. So far so good. I am up to the E-Z Nymphs and I found myself having trouble. Probably because I have a really cruddy pheasent tail I found myself with a problem. I couldn't tie a normal fly becuase it seemed like the feather strands were just too short and also really thing and hard to work with (which would come with practice I know).
Anyway, in desperation I took some strands (hurls?!?) of peacock feathers and followed the same steps listed in the lesson. I ended up (after lots of practice) with a fly that looked very similar to Al's nymph except with peacock instead of pheasent feathers...
My question I guess is...what did I create..how (besides the obvious look) do peacock feathers function differently than pheasent tails...will these (fairly decent looking) flies serve any purpose except as my first practice in tying materials to a hook (which they deffinitely did help me) after that I was able to get the hang of the pheasent tail tying
Sorry for the long post.