+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5 years ago today!!!

Default 5 years ago today!!!

5 year ago today...

The WTC was hit by planes....

Who remembers what they were doing that day when it happened???

I was having one of the best days of fishing I could remember... caught over 100 fish in 5 hours... on the way home I drove by a gas station and there was a line of traffic (about 8 cars per pump)... and I thought a gas war was going on and they were lowing the prices....

Got home and saw the news....
    SHOCKED is I all could say!!

I left home and went fishing after the second plane hit. Listening to my car radio as I got ready, I heard the news that the Pentagon was hit and the first tower came down. The creek I was fishing is a local wild trout stream during the Trico hatch that usually fishes EXTREMELY well during this time of year. This is part what I wrote in my fishing log after I got home:

"Today the US was attacked by terrorists. I was in total shock. I got to the creek at 10:00. Flies were coming off with plenty of spinners on the water but NO fish were rising! It was if they knew what was happening. All I could think about was the disaster. I had no stomach for fishing so I cut off the end of my burning cigar and went home. I was too sad to fish".

3. Default

Was attending a work seminar at a hotel in Syracuse. Seminar was interrupted when first tower was hit. Some at this seminar had fellow workers who died in the first tower ? insurance business. Once some of us got in front of a TV no one would return to the seminar. We all watched in horror and disgust. Listened as fighter jets were taking off from a local National Guard base. Seminar was canceled as all present desired to return to loved ones. I drove the thruway back to western NY area listening to radio reports. As I was headed west saw NYS Police and other emergency vehicles traveling east. Will never forget?

I recieved a phone call from my mother telling me to turn on the TV. I said what channel? She aid I am sure it won't matter. So I did and my jaw dropped. I thought "Is this for real?"
    It was horrible. Watcing the news, you say footage that you will never see again. People actually leaping from the windows.
    I kept thinking, what the HECK is going on, can this really be happening. I was numb the whole week, or should I say for several months.
    Watching the movie recap last night and tonight, makes me angry that it might have been somewhat expected. I know the show is speculations and of course the ol' "shoulda, woulda, coulda." But, the news saying we had our chance to kill Bin and we didn't.
    It has made us all much HUMBLER (if that is the word) and I appriciate every day and every thing in a whole new way.

I was watching the Today Show on the tube while we
    made plans for the day. Our ears perked up at the
    annoucement of a small plane hitting the Trade
    Towers. We were watching a live shot of the Towers
    with Katie Curic trying to tell us the latest as they
    knew it when we all saw the second plane strike the
    buildings. No one, including Katie could immediately
    grasp what was happening. Within minutes we all knew
    we were watching a coordinated terrorist attack on
    American soil and that Americans were dying as we
    watched. I felt the terror at what I was seeing, and
    an intense anger at those terriorists. We prayed,
    cryed, got extremely angry and were glued to the
    television all that day and much of the night. We
    knew that our lives had changed that day and not for
    the better. Warm regards, Jim

I am a sales engineer and was making calls in northeastern CT. I had the radio on and was listening to "Imus in the Morning". They were discussing a fire at the WTC, as they were watching a live MSNBC feed with the sound off.....nobody seemed to think it was a big deal. Then the part time sportscaster Warner Wolf called in. He had a ringside seat, as he lived within clear view of the WTC. He said he thought a commuter jet had hit one of the towers, and was describing the goings on, when he saw the second plane hit. It was at this point I pulled over, shut off the car and turned up the radio. Very emotional listening to first person coverage. Wolf was nominated for some sort of broadcsting award for his work that day, and I hope he won. Then reports started to come in about the attack on the Pentagon, and erronious reports af attacks on the State Dept, and the Capitol.

At this point I called my Wife, and she had been alerted by my daughter and was watching it on TV. I then called my office, and they knew something had happened, but they had no TV, and the radio reports were pretty inaccurate. I called a day after lunch, and went home, as, like most people, I had no idea if there was more to come.

I was showering at my apartment, getting ready to go to work. Had the radio on, listening to my favorite morning FM show (Krik, Mark, and Lopez....before Lopez headed to greener pastures up above and was replaced by Spiegel) on 98 ROCK. These guys are real jokesters, so when I heard them doing the news and announce that a plane hit the first tower, I thought it was just that - a joke. I get dried off, turn on the TV, and watched as the second tower was struck.

I drove frantically to work in downtown Baltimore, thinking, "Who knows what will be next, a hospital? A shopping mall?" I was a graduate student at Johns Hopkins at the time. And had several friends (who, thank God, made it out alive) working at the WTC. As I headed to work I heard another radio news broadcast announce that the Pentagon had been struck. So I drove that old beater BMW 2002 like a bat out of hell to get to work just to not be alone.

Spent the day not working, but rather watching news and just being sad, angry, and disbelieving the whole thing. Five years later, I am proud of the people who retook flight 93, proud of the people who risked life and limb to help the immediate victims, and amazed at the unity of the American people (and really the world). Still, I am utterly saddened that we as a "civilized" society are still disgustingly uncivil.

I flew on a passenger flight from Nashville to BWI this morning, though, and couldn't help but think about the tragedy of 9/11/01. God bless this world and bring us some peace.

Marty

I had had a good day at a local lake and was loading my little 12' jon boat in the truck (after 16 years I bought a trailer at the end of last season)and was listening to what sounded like a rerun of "War of the Worlds." Didn't pay much attention while going through the loading process. Finally, curiosity got me and I tried calling home on the cell. No circuits available.

When I got home, my wife asked if I had been listening to the radio. I said yes, but I couldn't make sense of it. After five years, I still can't.

We had our 4th. annual 9-11 Rememberance ceremony at the police academy today. Quite a turnout: the featured speaker was Det. Larry Eggars, NYPD Homicide Division. He was called in that afternoon to start investigating the largest crime scene in American history; 24/7/365 for a year-and-a-half! What a story he had to tell.

I teach:
    Terrorism and the Law Enforcement Officer,
    International Terrorist Threats,
    Domestic Terrorist Threats,
    to the police recruits. I always come away with blood in my mouth from biting my tongue..., no, it's not from pronunciations...it's from teaching from a prescribed lesson plan, not reality or truth!

Lift your glass; here's to transparency....

Jim

I was sitting around camp along the Caddo River in west central Arkansas, enjoying my second cup of coffee and planning how I was going to repair my canoe rack, when the camp manager came running out and yelled at me to come up to the house and see what had just come on his TV. We were discussing the improbability of an airliner hitting a skyscraper when the second tower was hit and it became obvious this was not an accident. As soon as I had my canoe rack repaired, I just packed up and went home; just didn't feel like paddling or fishing anymore that day.

Larry Compton

I like Jim was watching the Today show while getting ready for work. They were talking about the first plane hitting the tower and all I could think was how could anybody not see it with a clear blue sky. Then it showed the second plane hit as we were watching and I knew then it was no accident. It to this day gives me the shakes when it shows it on tv.

Rocky

+ Reply to Thread