+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paddling in the rain

Default Paddling in the rain

How many here will go out in the rain (no lightning) and paddle? I've been caught out in a downpour and was soaking wet before I made landfall. Not a problem but I don't carry rain gear with me most times. I didn't get out, just wanted to be close to land if the lightning started in, which it didn't.

I'm sitting here typing this while it rains outside (lightning included) and am wishing it was just rain.

Do any of you sit-in kayakers own a spray skirt? I don't but am considering one.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Default Rain

I have a Half-Skirt. The cockpit of my 'yak is huge and I don't think anyone makes a true sprayskirt for something that big. The half skirt has been useful in keeping the water that runs down the paddle from ending up in the boat. (Just what are those little rubber thingies on the paddle near the blades supposed to do anyway?) I can assume that the half-skirt would lessen the amount of water I would collect in the boat during a rain. The skirt has a semi-rigid band in front of me to keep the material from resting on my legs. I intend to get some sort of paint to put a ruler on that part that sticks up so I can measure fish.

Budd
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Default Spray Skirt

Once upon a time, I did have the spray skirt with my yak and it was worth the investment. Not so much for the fact of staying dry during August showers, but surviving a roll during May hypothermia season. Needless to say, you will broaden your yak season with a skirt. Once you get it, take some time and learn rolling technique at your friends in-ground pool.

As per the question, "Just what are those little rubber thingies on the paddle near the blades supposed to do anyway?" They are suppose to be closer to your hands and prevent the water from running down to your hand and elbow.

Yup !

That is what those rupper cups are for, to keep you dry.

If you want to measure your fish ;
    - Just use a perminant marker and copy a measuring tape on your paddle handle.
    That way it will always be with you, if you are using the sray skirt or not.

- You could use paint markers if you like, the oil based ones seem to last longer.Tons of colors.

- If you are catching fish longer then your paddle handle; change your yak for a boat! LOL!

Take care,
    chris from canada

Bluegill Budd,

My yak and your yak take the XL size sprayskirt made by Harmony for the Perception brand yaks. I looked them up and the MSRP is $69.95. Not something I'm gonna get into right now. I was laid off last Friday for at least a week, construction is a bit slow right now.

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

got caught in the rain last thursday - it was warm and the fish were biting so raingear never rain through my mind. I have a sit on top kayak, so no skirt, but a good spray jacket is kept in the dry bag for those cooler days when it decide to rain on me.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default spray skirts

I have a spray skirt for my Wilderness Systems Victory Blast yak, but I seldom use it. My cockpit is 40" x 22.5". I think my skirt is a Harmony. It works fine. I mainly use it when I'm in fast water.

As long as there is no lightning, or dangerously high winds, I don't pay any attention to rain. Actually, it's quite fun and exhilarating to have the area all to your self....just you and the elements.

Here is a trick with the paddles and rubber 'dribble' rings. Keep your paddle low when paddling and the water doesn't run up the handle so bad, and it will improve your stroke. Don't raise the paddle any higher than you have to. The blade on the power side needs to be just under the water...not 3' below the surface. The blade on the high side never goes above my shoulder. I couldn't believe the increase in speed and less effort required once I learned this racing stroke. It's nothing to maintain 4 knots or better over an extended time like this. The only time you really need to raise your paddle above chest-height is when you need to execute a 'High' brace.

Semper Fi!

nighthawk Guest

I don't own a kayak but I share your sentiment about paddling in the rain. I am not a fair weather fisherman or hunter. I can always bail out the canoe or change into dry clothes.

+ Reply to Thread