Hello all.

Recently, when preparing for a trip back to the ole homestead in Colorado, I came across the miracle nymph pattern. It intrigued me because it looked like a buzzer, which is a very popular stillwater pattern here in the UK. This midge nymph pattern was also recently featured in FFandFT as tied by Skip Morris.

The basic recipe is a shrimp hook (#20 TMC 2487bl)
white thread body, copper wire rib, and coloured black thorax or head. There's a recipe on Danica - here: http://www.danica.com/Flytier/ccraven/miracle_nymph.htm

Well....I tied one regular miracle nymph and decided it was just too boring. Sooo...I looked around for an alternative. I wanted a slightly more segregated body and a bigger head. We are going for something that looks like this:
http://www.bgsd.k12.wa.us/hml/jr_cam..._dec-06_77.jpg

My recipe:
Black thread - 6/0
body - cream floss
rib - copper wire
head/thorax - black thread and cdc fibres.

So....I used black thread, under which I tied in cream coloured floss and a short piece of very thin copper wire. Wrap floss and wire from 2 hook eye spaces back from eye in loosely spaced (but tight) turns the desired length of the body, then back up to the eye. (These loose turns keep the black from showing through the floss too much). Then wind the floss up the body as a 'ribbon' in slightly overlapping turns, and rib opposite direction with copper wire. A tidier and more segregated body I think.

For the head/thorax I make one half hitch to secure rib and floss. Then I split the thread and stick in 5-7 cdc barbules. I use the darkest natural grey feathers that I can find in my packet. (Dyed black would also work if you are a perfectionist). Then take 2-3 turns to secure the CDC to the head and whip finish as normal. I then trim the cdc flush with thread on the top of the head/thorax. underneath and on the sides I trim the CDC to about 2-3 hook eye lengths to simulate the wing buds or legs.

I like to cement the top of the head, but try to keep the cement or epoxy away from the CDC.

The end result - a much fishier looking fly. The rainbows in the Co. South Platte loved it. Maybe it looks like an emerging midge nymph to the trout - although how they can see the thing, I'll never know. Its a pattern that is suggestive of several stages, so it works really well.

enjoy

Mike