+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: swap monopolization

I went back and re-read Mr. Blurr's posts throughout this thread, and it seems to me that his original post, and those that follow, are not a complaint against those who usually partake in swaps. Rather, it looked more like a suggestion to those who usually do not bother to join. A sort of "C'mon everyone. The more the merrier!" type of thing. I know that it's hard for me to get involved because I'm not sure how to get US postage from here (I'm sure the post office could tell me though; I just forget to check! ) and I'm not sure about whether or not Flies are allowed to be mailed into the country for bio-hazard reasons.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Blog Entries

In a nutshell, I think the answer was there from the beginning. More people getting involved means more diverse representation, and that was the original point. Since the thread started, we have seen 4 new swaps, some by new hosts. So is the thread silly? Not to me. We just expanded our base of swap hosts (you all noticed I didn't say meister, right? ) and picked up some new tyers.

JeffHamm,
    Don't give up on the swap idea. I just shipped out a swap with 2 Canadian members. International mail can be more expensive, but it isn't that difficult. You will just have to work out something with the host for return postage. Usually it falls to barter or cash to cover your return package. You can always ask the individual host before you sign up.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Hi ol'blue,

I'm sure I could arrange return postage, the real concern has to do with issues about having "animal products" sent through the mail. New Zealand, being an island, has been isolated for millions of years. As such, one has to be careful about what gets brought into the country. Importers of fly tying materials, etc, have to pass certain inspections, requirements, etc, to ensure that no molds, or insects, etc, are brought in for the ride. Having something sent through the post that is (potentially) made from untreated animal products, (like flies), circumvents that protection and creates a risk.

Between the US and Canada there isn't such a problem given the land based connection already. I'm just not sure of what the rules are concerning shipping flies into the country. I just have to get off my backside and look into it. If it's "ok", then I will start joining some swaps.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread