+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sinking Line??

Default Sinking Line??

Looking for advice again.
    I wanted a line to use to Surf cast and use as a sinking line for Bass or Steelhead ( as I only get to the salt once a year or so)
    I picked up S.A. Uniform sink line Type III (2.5 - 3.5 ips). I have not opened it yet and could return if it is not right.
    Question: There was a sinking tip line and a S.A. Wetcell type VI line as well; have I done the right thing?
    What would you suggest keeping in mind I don't fish salt that often.
    Thanks
    DuFf

Duff, I do not fish the salt to often myself but either line would be ok. Most of the time I use an Intermediate sinking line. A full sinking line is a little harder to use but it will keep your fly at the same level on the retrive. Most sink tips will cause the fly to rise on the retrive.

I do most of my fishing in the salt with an intermediate line. It is a good all around choice.

jed

Default sinking lines

I went to Cabo San Lucas this past Feb. and used a full sinking line. My brother used and intermediate tip sinking line. I, and I'm not bragging that much, caught more fish, and had many more strikes (hits) than he did, and we used the same flies and same basic retrieve.
    I will say this too, make sure you have some sort of stripping basket for your line, especially if the surf is a little rough. I had a hell of a time controlling mine in the waves and won't do it again without one.

Good luck,
    Thunderthumbs

Duffin:

Can you define what type of surf? My recommendation may change depending on how you answer.

e

In the heavy surf or in windy conditions I use a type III full sink line much of the time.
    I rarely use an intermediate line anymore, prefering to switch from the type III to a floater as conditions vary
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I'm fairly close to Dudley. I prefer a grain line (ranges from 200 for my 5 wt to 350 for my 9wt) when the surf is up or the current is strong and deep. Otherwise I go with the intermediate. I see no real reason to go with a floater since my intermediate does not sink all that fast. I still feel like I have a good connection to the fly and know where it is as I strip or mend.

e

It all depends on a number of factors to me. Usually I will try and get away the something like a 444SL with the 15' clear intermediate head. However; if the swell is heavy and towards the shore this will not allow the fly to get down into the strike zone quickly enough, in which case I might fish a T250 (on a 6 weight, but Xi2) or a full fast sink. It is all down to the conditions.

A lot depends on your comfort level with casting a sinking line. The full sink line with sink right up to your rod tip while a sink tip will not. If I was buying a sinking line JUST for fly fishing in the surf, it would be a sink tip rather than a full sinking line. SA, Rio, Airflo etc. all make sink tips in the fifteen to twenty four ft.length that would be very good in the surf. I'm basing my opinion on fishing the surf in Maine around Popham Beach for years. If your beach is very steep and deep, the full sink might be better.

+ Reply to Thread