+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the strangest thing you have hooked?

I was walking along the stream on the dirt road to another spot when a guy on a bicycle with a small dog running along side comes buy!!! Well the dog ran up to me and got hooked. The tippet broke quickly but I wonder if they found my fly on the dog!! Would have been hard as it was a size 22 midge!!

I hoooked my brother in the neck. If you met him you'd agree he's stranger than most.

jed

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
    A pelican, a green heron, several moccasins, gators,
    sunglasses, a bikini top, a Penn Senator reel and an antique silver whistle.*G* Warm regards, Jim

Waiting to hear about the Bikini!

Years ago I was on Kodiak Island and had spent the morning at the mouth of the Buskin river fishing for salmon. After the tide turned I move up river to fish for Dolly Varden. I was swinging a wet fly when I got caught up with something. At first I thought I had sagged a submerged tree limb or some such. As I put a little more tension on the line, whatever I was hooked on began to move towards me. After several seconds of pumping and pulling I finally landed a bright, silver, six pack of Colt Malt Liquor Beer. The bottom of the cans were rusted, but the tops were protected by the plastic can covers that they used back in those days.

Dan S
    "I still don't know why I fish or why other men fish, except that we like it and it makes us think and feel." Roderick Haig-Brown, A River Never Sleeps

Caught the tip section of my fly rod that jumped off the butt section earlier in the day. Dredged it up from the bottom of the lake with a big spoon on the spinning rod. I got my rod back and some real funny looks from the other people around.

6. Default

I caught a head of cabbage once.
    A few weeks ago, me and some buddies from work were fishing on a creek in Alaska. I was using a pink wooly bugger I had tied during our lunch break. I had broken my 8wt and was having some fun catching chums and pinks on my 6wt. I hooked into a large chum that broke my 20lb tippet. 15 mins later, my buddy directly across the creek from me landed a chum. He then yelled and asked if I wanted my pink fly back. He caught the fish that had broken me off earlier.

Let's see a crab, a duck (fortunately the hook was just tangled in feathers and he was released in mid-air), caddis and midge larvae (you know your fly is deep enough when you start scraping bugs off the rocks), women's underwear, a no tresspassing sign on a metal pole.

I once thought I hooked a condom but I don't recall what I determined that it really was after I got it in. I do remember I was glad it didn't end up being a condom.

I tend to go out of my way to avoid bats when I see them coming, so I haven't hooked any of those yet. I'm sure that one day I won't be able to yank the fly out of the way, however.

The strangest thing I ever hooked was one of MY fishing rods.
    For the second year in a row, our family was split into two rental boats at Paulina Lake.
    I had loaned a rod to my brother in the second boat.
    I felt safe about doing this because he had lost one of my rods overboard the year before and it could never happen again! could it?
    We had started fishing and everything was going fine and I heard my nephew in boat two, yell something.
    I could hardly believe my ears! My brother had lost another of my rods overboard!
    It was like someone threw a bucket of cold water on our fishing trip because both boats got real quiet.
    I was not upset about losing my rod, so I decided to lighten the mood by doing something funny.
    I cast my line towards the 2nd boat and landed it RIGHT in front of my Dad. I said "DAD IS THAT WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN CATCHING ALL YOUR FISH?"
    All of a sudden, I had a fish on!!!
    As I was reeling it in, I caught sight of the trout.
    It got stuck somehow and I decided to hand line the fish in the rest of the way.
    I pulled and pulled the line. The trout wiggled off the line, but I was still hooked on something.
    It was like I had snagged something on the bottom of the lake.
    Whatever it was, was coming straight up from the bottom. I had hooked and landed MY rod, that my brother had lost in the 2nd boat!!!!!
    I was so happy!!! My rod had come back from the dead!
    The hook that I used was a size 14 egg hook.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Your brother lost two of your rods? That's even more unbelievable than catching it again. I wouldn't loan him any more of them.

Mudpuppy,at night, through the ice. My daughter, the first one on the scene thought it was an alien pulling on the line leading to the hook in its mouth.

+ Reply to Thread