+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Catch!!!

Default First Catch!!!

Was out fishing yesterday and am happy to report that I caught my very first trout on a fly rod using a flying ant. I caught an 11" brown and wow!!! What an experience!!

I was floating the ant along the edge of a large hole when the trout came up, almost clean out of the water, and took the fly. WOW!!! I almost forgot to set the hook and, to my surprise, did so without yanking the hook out of its mouth. I was pretty trout-crazy at that point! After I played the fish a bit while stripping in line, I had to look at my buddy and ask "okay, now what???". He got a good laugh and after a moment I had landed the trout, grinning ear-to-ear. It was a beauty. I measured it, got the requisite "first fish on a fly" pictures and after releasing it, retired that fly to a special place of honor among my fishing gear

What an experience!!! That was exactly what I was looking for when I decided to give fly fishing the old college try a few weeks ago. I'm glad I did and getting that first fish under the belt was an amazing thing! Now I understand why so many fly anglers with much more time under their belts told me "wait till you get that first one off the top"... well.. pun fully intended.. I believe I'm "hooked" for life!

Welcome to the lifers club! That is a pretty impressive FIRST fish,hope to see some pics later.
    Wyo-Blizzard

hazmat,
    Thanks for your enthusiastic post!!!
    Now that you've experienced your first trout on a fly, your off on a exciting adventure. I was right where you are, in my flyfishing life, 41 yrs ago.
    I still remember my first fish when I was 12. I couldn't believe the trout bit my fly! I said,
    "DAD I THOUGHT FISH ONLY BIT WORMS"
    If your committed to learning about flyfishing, then I would suggest making it a priority above all other methods.
    I'm jealous that you got a photo and I would suggest making copies and enlarging one print and framing it, including the fly you caught the trout on.
    Congratulations!!!!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks guys! Yeah, I was pretty stoked about it. Hopefully the pictures turn out alright. They were taken with a camera phone, so I'm crossing my fingers.

As for putting fly fishing above the other methods.. I'd pretty much already decided to do that. The guys I fish with most often are fly anglers and at first I wondered why that was so... I'm beginning to fully understand! I need to take a casting lesson or two, though. I'm keeping my eyes open for one of the local shops to offer something. In the meantime, I believe I'm going to look into getting started in tying flies and accumulating some books to feed my head with.

Hazmat
    What stream were you fishing? Just curious since your a "local" (to me anyway). Also, if your looking for casting lessons, there are some great shops in Carlisle, PA. I would suggest Cold Springs Anglers. I haven't had much exp. with them outside of the normal "I go in there and buy stuff", but Herb and Cathy seem very nice and I imagine could give some good direction on casting. Just some thoughts, and congrats on getting your first.

My fising partner and close friend, an english gent, always comments "good show" upon my catching our little trout.

Hazmat, Good show. Welcome to our addiction!
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by GBurgFisher
    Hazmat
    What stream were you fishing? Just curious since your a "local" (to me anyway). Also, if your looking for casting lessons, there are some great shops in Carlisle, PA. I would suggest Cold Springs Anglers. I haven't had much exp. with them outside of the normal "I go in there and buy stuff", but Herb and Cathy seem very nice and I imagine could give some good direction on casting. Just some thoughts, and congrats on getting your first.
    I was fishing Stony Creek. It's normally way down this time of year, but the recent deluge has it running pretty well. You can get there on 322 westbound, Dauphin exit. Familiar with it at all?

Thats the end of you

Cheers

Hang on to the fly, for posterity sake...
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Hazmat
    I actually have never made it all the way up there. I usually get tied up in Carlisle. I have also been spending a lot of time this year exploring some of the MD streams close to where I live. I will have to get up there and check it out sometime. Certainly sounds like a nice place. Let me know if your ever planning on taking any trips down my way.

+ Reply to Thread