+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Drought is over

Default Drought is over

Here in southern Oklahoma, we have had temperatures over 100 for over a month. We have also had only minute amounts of rain over the past 2-3 months. Maybe I'm just getting old and soft, but I just couldn't make myself get out in a stream when the temperatures were running from 105 to 112 degrees F. I was beginning to wonder if I still remembered how to string up my rod, much less cast with it. Over the weekend, our temperatures dropped, with highs in the low 80's. I finally ventured out this morning with my fishing partner, Kurt. We went to a small stream in the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, where we expected to catch a few dinky bluegills and small stream bass. The fishing went pretty much as expected for most of the day. At one point, I saw several large carp circling. I have wanted to catch a carp for a long time, so, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was using a 3 weight rod, but what the heck. I tossed a small brown beadhead Wooly Bugger to them, but they didn't seem a bit interested. I finally gave up on the carp and tossed the Bugger in next to the bank, expecting to catch a small bass or bluegill. Imagine my shock when the water suddenly exploded in front of me and SOMETHING appeared to be coming after me. Fortunately it dove under before reaching me. After a couple of minutes of fighting this beast, I realized I had hooked a large channel cat (at least large for this small stream). After about five minutes, I finally wore it down enough to bring it to hand, but just as I reached for the fly, the fish gave a hard jerk, and my tippet gave up the ghost. This fish weighed approximately 3-4 lbs., and was totally unexpected. What a way to finally end my long drought.

Larry Compton

Blog Entries

Great stuff Larry,

a cat on the fly is quite an experience no? I love it.
    I am down here in McKinney TX so am not too awful far from you. I get to go fishing at my mother-in-law's stock tank near Caney OK on occasion and that is always a thrill.

I too am tickled pink by the falling of water from the sky and temps with only two digits. it was 59? here in McKinney when I got up this AM! Whoo Hoo! That is sweetness indeed when your A/C unit has been running 24/7 for the last sixty days and the electric bill approaches the mortgage payment.

Robin,
    Haven't you ever taken Barry up on fishing Rock Creek there in Sulphur? We have been fishing (when we could) this summer mostly up in the main park just off the picnic areas. However, if you go on down stream below Veterans Lake, you can get into some really interesting water. Lots of bass, carp, cats, bluegills, etc. I even caught a black buffalo one day. I tried to catch Barry at home on Monday to see if he wanted to fish, but no one home. I'll probably be hitting Blue River pretty soon now that the weather is improving.

Larry Compton

Blog Entries

Never been to that water but have seen folks mention it many a time on Blue River Fly Fishers. I need to make that trip someday.

If you see Barry before I do tell him howdy!

I'd like to think the draught is over.
    The sad truth is we're still way behind on rain and I know of several streams that are dry that I've never seen go dry before.

Blog Entries

Terry

We could no doubt use some more rain. I'm all for daily slow drizzles, non-stop, until the lakes are topped off and the springs bubbling.

Heard a news report the other day. 65 counties in Texas, at the moment, qualify for disaster relief funds. No grass for the cattle and no water either. Tanks are going dry all over the place. And no real relief in sight.

Take a look at the pictures in this post from the Austin area, at one of the local (large) lakes-

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tra ... ead=519989

Blog Entries

CharlieJ, I can't tell you how sorry I am for all of y'all suffering through a drought.

The pictures of the lake were both interesting and saddening. I hope that people have taken the opportunity to remove trash that used to be at the bottom of that lake. This would also be a good time to bring in a couple of bulldozers &/or front end loaders to do any sort of silt removal or enlarging that needs to be done. I suppose that this might be a good time to put in conservation structures, which really hits me as being ironic. Of course, anything like that that gets set out now will not be a secret from others.

regards and prayers,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread