Here in southern Oklahoma, we have had temperatures over 100 for over a month. We have also had only minute amounts of rain over the past 2-3 months. Maybe I'm just getting old and soft, but I just couldn't make myself get out in a stream when the temperatures were running from 105 to 112 degrees F. I was beginning to wonder if I still remembered how to string up my rod, much less cast with it. Over the weekend, our temperatures dropped, with highs in the low 80's. I finally ventured out this morning with my fishing partner, Kurt. We went to a small stream in the Chickasaw National Recreation Area, where we expected to catch a few dinky bluegills and small stream bass. The fishing went pretty much as expected for most of the day. At one point, I saw several large carp circling. I have wanted to catch a carp for a long time, so, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was using a 3 weight rod, but what the heck. I tossed a small brown beadhead Wooly Bugger to them, but they didn't seem a bit interested. I finally gave up on the carp and tossed the Bugger in next to the bank, expecting to catch a small bass or bluegill. Imagine my shock when the water suddenly exploded in front of me and SOMETHING appeared to be coming after me. Fortunately it dove under before reaching me. After a couple of minutes of fighting this beast, I realized I had hooked a large channel cat (at least large for this small stream). After about five minutes, I finally wore it down enough to bring it to hand, but just as I reached for the fly, the fish gave a hard jerk, and my tippet gave up the ghost. This fish weighed approximately 3-4 lbs., and was totally unexpected. What a way to finally end my long drought.

Larry Compton