Thanks for those links all the way 'round. I had been doing internet searches on deceivers, but somehow missed the Global Flyfishers' articles. They very clearly explain what a deceiver is.

I had located the article by Lefty K. that explained how he developed the deceiver while trying to design a fly that used saddle hackle but didn't foul the hook. That was the light bulb that went off yesterday, and I figured that the bucktail was the trick that prevented the hackle from fouling. I missed the other essential ingredient which is the placement of the hackle, but that's now obvious after reading the GF article.

I tied up my first deceivers yesterday, and the video will be very useful when I return to the task tonight.

Why am I focusing on deceivers? I want to catch an albie this fall. And I'll be giving it a shot later this month in Rhode Island. It's not all that far for me although I plan to back out of the driveway at about 2:30 am!

I'm told that two to four inch clousers and deceivers in chartreuse and white, green and white, and yellow and white are all you will need for that. Other suggestions welcome!