It's easy to understand what a Clouser is. But I've been having a hard time figuring out what made a Deceiver a Deceiver, and not just any old baitfish imitation. I think I've finally figured it out, and I'd like to try the idea out here.

Basically, saddle hackle makes a pretty good tail on a streamer, but it has a tendency to foul around the hook during casting. A deceiver adds stiffer bucktail in various configurations to prevent the saddle from fouling. It could be added as a long throat extending beyond the bend of the hook with a wing, or on the sides with a bucktail wing.

Flash of various kinds can be added to give the appearance of a lateral line. Sometimes mylar or braided tinsel is included and sometimes the hookshank is left bare. Sometimes peacock herl is added as a topping.

I guess it doesn't have to be bucktail, any stiff material that keeps the saddle from fouling would work. Of course, there's an all "bucktail" deceiver around.

For me, that kind of explains the wide variety of Deceiver recipes that are out there.